Several Problems with Export Annotations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several Problems with Export Annotations

I'm enjoying Foxit Mobile Reader on the iPad, however I cannot seem to successfully export my annotations. I'm using version 5.2.0.0930 on iOS 10.0.2

I would like to highlight passages of text in my PDF file, and then export these as quotations. Ideally, I would like to export to RTF or XHTML, but I guess even to Adobe FDF would work. This functionality is crucial to my workflow.

Let's say I open a PDF from iCloud, add a bunch of annotations, and then I want to export them. When I select Export Annotations from the ... menu, usually I get a dialog box showing a list of files that I cannot select. Only Cancel works here. One time I was able to make it work (sorry, I'm not sure what I did), and the Reader app asked me for a file name to save the annotations. (BTW, the dialog box did not have a Cancel button, only OK, and I wasn't given a real choice of places to save the file — just an empty screen). That one time, I was able to save my annotations as an FDF file.

However, when I tried to open that file on my desktop machine (by looking in the iCloud Drive folder), the FDF file was not visible. Tap to Sync had no effect. I could see the file on the iPad but not on the Desktop machine. Also, the list of files that I see in the dialog box for Export Annotations is different from what I see in the iCloud Drive. Is there some way to understand this? It's totally confusing. It took a long time to figure this out, but finally I was able to e-mail the file to myself and get it onto my Desktop machine. But finally, when I tried to open this FDF file in Adobe Acrobat, I just got an error "Expected a dict object."

How can I make this feature work?

FWIW, I have been able to open the same PDF in Notes Writer+ and export my annotations there. That workflow is very clunky, though, and Foxit Reader has IMHO a better UI for reading and annotating.

Since I am posting to this forum, I have another question: how can I navigate between the screen that shows my currently-open PDF files and the screen called Cloud that provides access to Cloud storage? This seems like a simple thing but it is not clear to me how to get to the PDFs that I've already opened unless I try to open another one.

Thanks!

Hi GoldMeadow,

Normally when click Export Annotations, you will get a dialog box showing a list of folders and files under Document with OK and Cancel buttons so that could choose a folder to save the annotation file. (If you have any button missing, please take a screenshot and send it with the file you work with to support@foxitsoftware.com so that we could have a check.)

The file you open from iCloud Drive are opened directly from iCloud and will not be saved in the app (local storage). But the list of folders and files showed in Export Annotation dialog box are all saved in local storage instead of in iCloud. That means the exported FDF are saved locally. That's why you could not find it in iCloud.

As you would find here, there is an issue in this case that the files from iCloud could not be downloaded to app and the files saved in app could not be uploaded to iCloud. So you need to transfer to file to your machine, by email or by wifi tranfer function the app provided.

To open a FDF file with any software, please note that the original pdf file should exist as well as the fdf file on your machine. (You could download it from iCloud to your desktop.)

And it's not able to navigate the opened file screen to Cloud tab directly. You need to exit/close the opened file first and then click Navigation bar on the left and choose Cloud.

Comment

I'm enjoying Foxit Mobile Reader on the iPad, however I cannot seem to successfully export myannotations. I'm using version 5.2.0.0930.

Comment

Originally posted by williyamjoe View Post
        I'm enjoying Foxit Mobile Reader on the iPad, however I cannot seem to successfully export myannotations. I'm using version 5.2.0.0930.
        What's wrong when exporting annotations? Any error message? The latest version is 5.3.0. Would you mind giving the latest version a try?

Comment

Working...
        X