No announcement yet.

Classic toolbar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having used most of the PDF editing software out there, I found that they all have the same basic functions and screen layout, except PDFill. BTW, in these readers and editors, why is the navigation bar always on the left and open by default? What sold me for Foxit was the real estate maximizing classic skin. We could close the navigation bar, menu bar, and tool bars. I liked that, so I could see more of the document, less of the UI. I like how MS has done the ribbon in Word where there is a toggle that removes the UI so you can have the whole screen to edit your document. A lot of the time I am just reading a PDF, highlighting, and underscoring -- UI not needed..

I am switching back to 7.2.8 for the classic UI.

Please give us back our space!

Thanks
    Last edited by KeBoEn; 01-26-2016, 04:46 AM.

Comment

I do not know about the original poster's reasons, but I can tell you mine for not liking the ribbon; it is twice the size of the normal layout, eating up screen space I'd rather devote to the PDF I am reading. My options are to either collapse it and settle for the scant info I can get from the status bar at the bottom or keep it open and hop around between tabs. I also do not like how information like the page number is only on the View tab; previously, in classic mode, I had most of the functions I needed all up top. Now I have to dance around from tab to tab to get that. It's way more than I need for casual reading and searching.
      Last edited by Windthin; 01-26-2016, 07:42 PM.

Comment

The problem is you are losing all the LibreOffice users whose reasons for avoiding MS Office include the ribbons. For me the Classic Toolbar is simply superior. I see no reason to get used to the abominable Microsoft "invention".

Comment

KeBoEn

At the top right corner of Foxit PhantomPDF/Reader, there's an upward arrow (Change Ribbon Status), you may click on it to hide the ribbon to see more of the document. Please give it a try.

Windthin

Please try to use the "Change Ribbon Status" button at the top right corner to hide the toolbar. If to make the status bar stacked, you may go under "File"->"Preferences"->"General"->uncheck "Auto-hide" status bar. The page number is also displayed on status bar.

Arctic Haze and all,

It may be uncomfortable at the first time you see/use the ribbon toolbar. Once you get used to it, you'll find ribbon toolbar is way much better than the classic toolbar just like me. Thank you.

Comment

cherry

I do not want to get used to something I loathe. I'm also vegetarian and I read your advice as tantamount to saying I'll like meat once I get used to eating it. It feels rather condescending to me.

You should at least make the hidden ribbon mode emulate the classic toolbar (vertical menu lists wit no graphics, page number at top). If someone is hiding the ribbon it is very likely she does not want to use it in any way.

Comment

I registered an account just to voice my displeasure at this development as well. I understand there is a commitment to maintaining two menu systems, but let's be honest, they both have the same commands in the same order, just one has pretty pictures and takes up more screen space. The ribbon is a M$ abomination and the first thing I turn off on all software I use, since so many developers have decided they needed to add a ribbon as well.

I will be reverting my installation back to the last version that has the classic toolbar functionality and when I feel the updates outweigh the risks of not updating, I will most likely go with the place that lets me control how I use and interact with the program, not how the program tells me I am supposed to.

So many programs and applications lately keep taking away functionality that is not broken for the sake of "improvement". Remember - if it ain't broke, DON'T fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Haze View Post
                cherry

I do not want to get used to something I loathe. I'm also vegetarian and I read your advice as tantamount to saying I'll like meat once I get used to eating it. It feels rather condescending to me.

You should at least make the hidden ribbon mode emulate the classic toolbar (vertical menu lists wit no graphics, page number at top). If someone is hiding the ribbon it is very likely she does not want to use it in any way.
                Cherry was just sharing her experience and advised you to have a try to see if you will like this mode. Meanwhile, we have reported your feedback to our PM team for future evaluation, hope it will be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by CurtisP View Post
                  I registered an account just to voice my displeasure at this development as well. I understand there is a commitment to maintaining two menu systems, but let's be honest, they both have the same commands in the same order, just one has pretty pictures and takes up more screen space. The ribbon is a M$ abomination and the first thing I turn off on all software I use, since so many developers have decided they needed to add a ribbon as well.

I will be reverting my installation back to the last version that has the classic toolbar functionality and when I feel the updates outweigh the risks of not updating, I will most likely go with the place that lets me control how I use and interact with the program, not how the program tells me I am supposed to.

So many programs and applications lately keep taking away functionality that is not broken for the sake of "improvement". Remember - if it ain't broke, DON'T fix it.
                  Thank you for the feedback, we have reported your feedback to related team for future evaluation, hope it will be considered.

Comment

For me the classic toolbar mode allowed for creating custom keystrokes and when viewing multiple documents I was able to maneuver between page views easily. If you would add the option to create/change keyboard combinations to your ribbon view I would be able to do the same thing. I switched from Adobe to Foxit quite a long time ago and was very pleased with the size and speed of your viewer. With each update there was always the option to switch back to classic mode. Please bring it back or allow for custom keyboard options in ribbon mode.

Comment

Hi H64dmtp,

Actually the ribbon mode also supports to creating custom shortcut, please right click on the ribbon, select Customize Quick Access Toolbar>Keyboard, you can customize the shortcut you want.

Comment

Hello Lyndi_wu,

Very nice. Thank you. I didn't realize that you could do that and I'm very pleased you informed me. Thank you so much!

Comment

Every problem discussed in this article applies to your ribbon:

"Why the Microsoft Office Ribbon is still rubbish"
                          http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/softwar...n-is-still-ru/

(PS. To learn how to correctly implement BBCode on this broken message board, please see this webpage titled "How to Create a Forum for Beginners")
                          Last edited by EFG5; 02-05-2016, 01:40 AM.

Comment

I signed up just to add my 5 cents worth to this discussion, after being horrified to see the classic toolbars gone after an auto-update. To me, the Foxit classic toolbar is one of the main power user features of the application. I use the Foxit Reader on a small laptop to read and annotate technical documents. The classic interface is much less demanding of screen space than the ribbon interface. The ribbon interface simply detracts too much from the document(s) you are working on - the smaller the screen, the more it detracts.

Thank you for keeping version 7.2 available on your site - it is a beautiful application, a well designed and extremely powerful tool for power users - if you use it with the classic menu!

I will continue to use version 7.2 and have now downloaded and saved it in my cloud drive, so I can easily install it on any future PC instead of just blindly downloading the latest version from the Foxit site.

I hope the product manager will reconsider this decision - see the classic toolbar for what it is: A power user feature that the competition doesn't have.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxitFan View Post
                              I signed up just to add my 5 cents worth to this discussion, after being horrified to see the classic toolbars gone after an auto-update. To me, the Foxit classic toolbar is one of the main power user features of the application. I use the Foxit Reader on a small laptop to read and annotate technical documents. The classic interface is much less demanding of screen space than the ribbon interface. The ribbon interface simply detracts too much from the document(s) you are working on - the smaller the screen, the more it detracts.

Thank you for keeping version 7.2 available on your site - it is a beautiful application, a well designed and extremely powerful tool for power users - if you use it with the classic menu!

I will continue to use version 7.2 and have now downloaded and saved it in my cloud drive, so I can easily install it on any future PC instead of just blindly downloading the latest version from the Foxit site.

I hope the product manager will reconsider this decision - see the classic toolbar for what it is: A power user feature that the competition doesn't have.
                              Dear FoxitFan,
                              Thanks for your feedback about the ribbon toolbar mode. Anyway,we will submit all of your advise to our internal feature system for our related department to do further references.
                              For now,you may choose to make Foxit PhantomPDF to offer more screen space for displaying PDF file contents please doing as follows:
                              1:To hide the ribbon by clicking on the upward arrow on the top corner of Foxit PhantomPDF UI.
                              2:Go to "FILE"menu>"File"->"Preferences"->"General"->uncheck "Auto-hide" status bar to make the status bar to be in auto-hide mode.

Comment

It's unfortunate they got rid of the classic toolbar, because that was the only way I could Select all in a thumbnail with the keyboard shortcut. Cannot do this in version 7.3. Once again, everything that works for you changes for the worst. Can't even add it to the quick access toolbar either. Very disappointed!!!!!
                                Last edited by Mark A; 04-26-2016, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X