PLEASE BRING BACK THE CLASSIC TOOLBAR MODE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLEASE BRING BACK THE CLASSIC TOOLBAR MODE

The Ribbon Mode is incredibly clumsy to use. Virtually every task takes more "clicks" and finding a tool requires a lot of trial and error. Also, the ribbon mode gets rid of the classic window title bar, so you no longer have any visual hint (i.e., the color of the title bar) as to which window is the "active" window, i.e., which window has the keyboard and mouse focus. I also use different title bar colors for different logged on users; with the Ribbon Mode this is no longer possible since there is no title bar displayed. The Ribbon Mode is a giant step backwards in ease of use (despite Microsoft's beliefs).

PLEASE BRING BACK THE CLASSIC TOOLBAR MODE!

I just wrote the same thing elsewhere. Even Acrobat Reader DC uses a streamlined toolbar like the old customizable Foxit Classic Toolbar. Hate to leave Foxit after all these years, but I will if the next iteration doesn't fix this!

Comment

Agreed. I was deciding whether to purchase Phantom PDF but kept looking for the option to disable the ridiculous ribbon stuff. Learning that it was removed has made the decision for me.

The ribbon UI is obnoxious. Auto-hiding does NOT help; it only makes the user experience more annoying and confusing. Menus were simple. Toolbars were easily customized. Why on EARTH are you foisting this obnoxious UI travesty on people, especially since you HAD been doing it right for so long? "Getting used to" ribbons is not what happens - they've been around long enough for people to do this. Plenty of people just flat-out hate them, there is no getting used to it.

The decision to purchase will wait to see if it's reverted in the next rev. Based on your users screaming about it, I'm hoping the right call will be made.

Comment

SandyDog Tiegan fizzgig

Sorry for the inconvenience. Your feedback has been forwarded to Foxit Reader/PhantomPDF PM team. Suggestion ID#: PHANTOM-5994. Thank you.

Now may I suggest you to use Foxit PhantomPDF 7.2 which has the classic mode? you can download it from the following link;

http://cdn01.foxitsoftware.com/pub/f..._enu_Setup.msi
        http://cdn01.foxitsoftware.com/pub/f..._enu_Setup.msi

Comment

While I appreciate your suggestion regarding version 7.2, that's not really practical. There are functional improvements and defect fixes in version 7.3, and I would certainly expect that to continue going forward with newer releases. Suggesting that customers lock themselves into what will soon become an obsolete version of the product is neither viable nor does it serve the best interests of your customers. In effect, you're channeling your existing customers towards competitors products.

Comment

SandyDog

Thanks for the update. Your comment has been added to Suggestion ID#:PHANTOM-5994. Thank you again for your kind understanding.

Comment

+1 to allowing a decent, *windows* style toolbar.
              Not everyone uses the "ribbon" thing and having to work out how to just to read PDFs doesn't give a decent return on time invested. As suggested above, I'll have to recommend sticking with version 7.2 (with the inherent dangers)

Comment

Hi Guys,

You may refer to this Foxit blog link to understand why Foxit change from the classic UI to the ribbon UI:
                https://www.foxitsoftware.com/blog/b...sts-of-change/
                Last edited by cherry; 05-17-2016, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cherry View Post
                  Hi Guys,

You may refer to this Foxit blog link to understand why Foxit change from the classic UI to the ribbon UI:
                  https://www.foxitsoftware.com/blog/b...sts-of-change/
                  That post made me laugh aloud. "It is always in the name of progress and productivity" - come on guys! In the name of productivity I've been using classic menu addons ever since Office 2007. Now I'm on Office 2016 and guess what - still using the classic menu. The Ribbon controls experiment failed (as it was mentioned above many times). Too bad Foxit software has made a decision to get rid of such a convenient tool. I mentioned in another topic that I'd been a loyal customer for many years, but had to switch to another product SOLELY because Foxit software deprecated the classic menu support.

Comment

I am still using the ribbon bar and have finally managed to get work done again.. But it is horrible, confusing and very hard to use. Please shoot this devil spawn of a user interface and let's get back to a lean mean pdf machine that Foxit used to be !!

Comment

I am still using the ribbon bar and have finally managed to get work done again.. But it is horrible, confusing and very hard to use. Please shoot this devil spawn of a user interface and let's get back to a lean mean pdf machine that Foxit used to be !!

Comment

My personal opinion and experience working with PDF programs (Not only with Foxit) the ribbon method is not intuitive and space consuming, while i can remedy some of it by creating my own tab and put all the tools i want on my custom tab which takes about 30 minutes of my time the ribbon still consumes a lot of space and is less intuitive to professionals. I will admit i use the ribbon with Microsoft Office products but even there i make tweaks to the ribbon home tab to include the tools i need the most rather than looking through tabs for the tool i need. The classic toolbar in my opinion is a mature approach to professional users not home users, i doubt it take that many resource to keep in the development code. Just bring it back or at least allow size selection of tool icons on the ribbon when customizing,

Comment

I still use 7.2.8.1124 for making annotations, but I use SumatraPDF as my main reader now... although it suffers from pancake menu disease.

Comment

Agreed - it has to come back FOR productivity reasons. The ribbon is a widely cited mistake that is being corrected... for productivity and usability reasons.

Comment

Working...
                            X