Failed to Save Document

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed to Save Document

I'm working a Active Directory domain environment and have had 5 users now report the same problem. They make an edit and attempt to save the document then are shown a message that the document failed to save. The work around at this point is to copy everything into a new document and save that one.

I haven't seen any pattern of events that lead up to failing to save besides editing a document. Watching one change one number and attempted to save when he was confronted with the "failed to save". Closed the document without saving reopened FoxIt by clicking on the PDF that just failed to save, edited the same number and was able to save.

The installs are version 7 and 8 on Windows 10, this did not start happening until recently. There were some Windows updates but I'm unsure if the computers with this issue also updated just before hand because I'm unsure when the issues actually started for each user. There does not appear to be any patterns at this time. I've tried un-installing/re-installing. Nothing shows in the Event Viewer and I'm not sure where FoxIt would save its logs for trouleshooting

Does anyone else this issue?
    Last edited by jhalleck; 06-26-2017, 03:45 PM.

I have the same issue going on with 8 of my users. The users are opening a pdf, it opens in read only and then when they go to save it states that someone else has the document open. The file is kept out on a network drive and no one else has the document open. They all have the most current version of Phantom Pro. We are operating on a Win7 platform. We also just had Windows updates.

Does anyone have a solution or idea to remedy this issue?

Comment

jhalleck
      Please help to provide us with the following info for further investigation;
      1. Where are your documents kept? Does the issue just happen on a mapped network drive? Or does the issue happen to any local drives as well?
      2. You said "The work around at this point is to copy everything into a new document and save that one." , do you mean that you can save the new created pdf file into the same directory?
      3. Do you get the same issue when save other format files?
      4. Please run Foxit, go to Help>About Foxit PhantomPDF to check the detailed version you use.
      5. Please navigate to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\System Information, send us the screenshot of the panel.

Comment

kari

Please help to provide us with the following info;
        1. Does it happen to any pdf files on the network drive? If it just happens to a specific file, please send us the file in question for internal test.
        2. How do you open the file from the network drive? Do you map the network drive to your computer?
        3. Please run Foxit, go to Help>About Foxit PhantomPDF to ensure that the version you use is the latest version 8.3.
        4. Do you get the same issue when saving the word file on the network drive?
        5. This save problem occurs regularly and can be reproduced at will?

Comment

1. All the PDFs are on mapped network drives. We've tried moving some files to local drives. It seems to be many PDFs.
          2. Ya, the same directory. When the error occurs, we're able to copy everything from the one that will not save into a blank PDF and save that one in the same directory.
          3. We only use PDFs with FoxIt software. We can try other files types though. No other programs have this issue. Typically these users have KML and DWG files open in Google Earth or AutoCAD, respectively. One of them does not have AutoCAD.
          4. At least two of the users have version 8.3, others have 7.x. I can figure out exactly what versions are on the machines.
          5. Haven't been able to reproduce the error at will. It's unclear what causes it. Most of the time it saves without issue.

Comment

jhalleck

Thank you for your info. Our developer compiled an new executable program with log features to debug this case. Please do the following on the computer which has version 8.3 installed.

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Foxit Software\Foxit PhantomPDF, find FoxitPhantomPDF.exe, rename it to FoxitPhantomPDF.exeOLD.
            2. Follow the link below to download the new FoxitPhantomPDF.exe and save it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Foxit Software\Foxit PhantomPDF
            http://exchange.foxitsoftware.cn/pro...omPDF8.3.0.zip
            Account: guest
            Password: Foxit@123
            3. Launch the new FoxitPhantomPDF.exe, do your regular works until you reproduce the saving error.

Note: Once the new FoxitPhantomPDF.exe is running, it will create a log file called " Foxit Reader Startup.Log" on your desktop. Please do not delete it. When you reproduce the "save failure" issue, send me this log. And you can remove this new FoxitPhantomPDF.exe and recover the original FoxitPhantomPDF.exe in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Foxit Software\Foxit PhantomPDF.

Comment

Thank you!

I'll get this to my users and get back to you.

Comment

I've copied it to one user so far after updating from 8.0.2

The other user that I know has version 8 is unavailable at this time

I'll post here again when I have a log file to show.

Comment

Here is the log file generated on the desktop taken just after a document failed to save. It may have happened before hand and the user just did not report it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Please help to provide us with the following info;
                    1. Does it happen to any pdf files on the network drive? If it just happens to a specific file, please send us the file in question for internal test.
                    Yes it happens to a PDF opened on the network Drive. If the document is sent through email and worked with on a different computer it opens fine.
                    2. How do you open the file from the network drive?
                    Through Windows explorer.
                    3. Do you map the network drive to your computer?
                    Yes the drives are mapped.
                    4. Please run Foxit, go to Help>About Foxit PhantomPDF to ensure that the version you use is the latest version 8.3.
                    It happens on all different versions of Foxit. Current and older versions.
                    5. Do you get the same issue when saving the word file on the network drive?
                    No it does not happen with any word files.
                    6. This save problem occurs regularly and can be reproduced at will?
                    Yes it can be reproduced and does occur regularly.

Comment

That is a good solution thanks mate

Comment

jhalleck
                        Thanks for sending us all of the information as requested.We have submitted this save file issue to our internal bug tracking system for our
                        QA team to do further analysis with report ID#QCPHANTOM-2699.
                        I will keep you informed for any updates about it.

Comment

kari For this situation you mentioned,we also need your help to follow the procedures for getting log file to send us the requested log file at your convenience.
                          Following is the steps for how to get log file:
                          Our developer compiled an new executable program with log features to debug this case. Please do the following on the computer which has version 8.3 installed.
                          1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Foxit Software\Foxit PhantomPDF, find FoxitPhantomPDF.exe, rename it to FoxitPhantomPDF.exeOLD.
                          2. Follow the link below to download the new FoxitPhantomPDF.exe and save it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Foxit Software\Foxit PhantomPDF
                          http://exchange.foxitsoftware.cn/pro...omPDF8.3.0.zip
                          Account: guest
                          Password: Foxit@123
                          3. Launch the new FoxitPhantomPDF.exe, do your regular works until you reproduce the saving error.

Note: Once the new FoxitPhantomPDF.exe is running, it will create a log file called " Foxit Reader Startup.Log" on your desktop. Please do not delete it. When you reproduce the "save failure" issue, send me this log. And you can remove this new FoxitPhantomPDF.exe and recover the original FoxitPhantomPDF.exe in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Foxit Software\Foxit PhantomPDF.

Comment

Working...
                          X