No announcement yet.

Use Phantom to merge two files from single-sided scanner.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature Use Phantom to merge two files from single-sided scanner.

I am re-posting this because I can't re-post on the original item or with my old profile . There is an issue that makes Phantom impractical to use for scanning two-sided documents using a single sided scanner with ADF (as many multi-function printers are).

To refresh the problem, if you have a single-sided scanner with ADF, and try to scan -say- 10 pages, you first scan the top sides and have a PDF file containing pages 1, 3, 5, 7, 9. Then you take the same stack, flip it upside down, feed it into the scanner and you get a second file, this time containing pages 10, 8, 6, 4, 2. Note the page numbering, because unless you manually shuffle pages, that's the exact order of the pages in the two files you'll get.

If now you try to combine the two files with Phantom, you get a single file with pages 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 in this exact order. If you want the file to become usable, you must manually move pages around. Imagine if you try to deal with a 50-sheets file(s). Also, once you start moving pages around, the original page numbers reference gets changed, so reordering pages gets even more confusing.

I would assume it should not be too difficult to add an option to Phantom to merge two files considering the second as the back side of the same sheets as in the first file. Phantom would have to:
    1) Reverse the pages in the second file, so it becomes 2,4,6,8,10.
    2) Combining the two files interleaving pages from each file.

This was a feature that I was told was asked by others (as far as I know it happens with any single sided scanner when two-sided documents need to be scanned), it was going to be available in V8.0, then it was pushed to V8.1, but is still not available now that we are at V9.0. Is there any way that this can be implemented?

Thank you,
    Last edited by NPS; 02-22-2018, 03:22 PM.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I have reminded our PM team to consider the feature again, and set the request to the higher priority.