Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I disable Foxit 11's new "Format tab"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In version 10 there was an update after 2.5 months, towards the end of July, that means there could possibly be an update to fix security and stability problems in mid-August, maybe with a few bug fixes ??? Version 10.1 was released at the end of September after around 6 months.

Here's a question: Do we have to wait 7 months for errors, security and stability updates (!!!), or does something else come up?

Jakob!

Comment

I am a long-term and really lazy user that rarely report things, but man this FORMAT tab is driving me nuts. At least give users an option to set the default to hide! It's sooo annoying. I'm not surprised to find others annoyed as well but the fact that we have to wait till Nov...

Comment

So, it's predicted to be at least 6 months before I can use version 11 after specifically paying for an upgrade to it. (11.0 crashed for me after an extended fight with the Format Tab - I don't know if 11.1 will still crash.) I realize this is partly my fault for not thoroughly testing the trial version before buying the upgrade, but that isn't normally necessary. I'll not make that mistake again, although I probably won't be buying as many updates either, since doing so now requires a significant investment of time.

Comment

We apologize for any difficulty using Foxit Software again, or you guys can downgrade to v10 from below for an alternative, engineering team is work on that project day and night, thanks for your patience.
          http://cdn01.foxitsoftware.com/produ..._enu_Setup.msi

Comment

I made an account just to be able to chime in and say that I also hate the new format tab and it drives me NUTS.

Comment

Chile1900
              Highly apologize for that trouble, already push the engineering team to speed it up, thanks for your patience.

Comment

I think everyone would agree that it would be more than enough for us to have a fixed date, for when the next update will come and, if possible, a date for the day when an update is available to hide the format tab, or something similar!?

Jakob!

Comment

Originally posted by Macallows View Post

fun fact: adobe acrobat dc pro actually has a side tab and Foxit inspired from it. Just wait for the fix or roll back to V10
                  That is true, I have tested it. That sidebar however is not obtrusive. You can hide it and it stays hidden. The one in the current version of Foxit opens and closes automatically, this one at least stays put and doesn't resize my working area.
                  The commenting and editing ability of Foxit was always why I loved it and preferred it to any other program, but this just breaks it. I am not waiting and dealing with this until November, we are going to switch all our team to Adobe this month.

Comment

Originally posted by ViciousWarGoose View Post

That is true, I have tested it. That sidebar however is not obtrusive. You can hide it and it stays hidden. The one in the current version of Foxit opens and closes automatically, this one at least stays put and doesn't resize my working area.
                    The commenting and editing ability of Foxit was always why I loved it and preferred it to any other program, but this just breaks it. I am not waiting and dealing with this until November, we are going to switch all our team to Adobe this month.
                    I'm probably not going to wait until November either. I've been going back and forth between Foxit and Qoppa PDF Studio Pro. I was going to stick with Foxit going forward because it seemed a tiny bit more polished, but that was before the Format Tab fiasco. I will likely keep an eye on Foxit, but as of now, Qoppa is my primary PDF editor.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy_Chen View Post
                      Chile1900
                      Highly apologize for that trouble, already push the engineering team to speed it up, thanks for your patience.
                      With a projected release in November, it sounds like they're adding features, not just fixing bugs. If so, that's bad news - they need time to properly test features before releasing them, and bundling that with a desperately needed patch that needs to go out ASAP is not likely to end well. I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

But there is one thing I don't understand here: why do so many want to turn their backs Foxit here now? Just because of the "beta" version 11? Foxit offers great support, even if there are standard dispatching answers, as in this case, but version 10.1, which was current up to version 11, worked great without the errors that occurred in version 11. There was also no annoying format panel. Why is now the decision between a Foxit PDF Editor V11 with no errors and no format tab or something else? What is preventing you from going back to version 10?

Jakob!

Comment

Originally posted by Jakob View Post
                          But there is one thing I don't understand here: why do so many want to turn their backs Foxit here now? Just because of the "beta" version 11? Foxit offers great support, even if there are standard dispatching answers, as in this case, but version 10.1, which was current up to version 11, worked great without the errors that occurred in version 11. There was also no annoying format panel. Why is now the decision between a Foxit PDF Editor V11 with no errors and no format tab or something else? What is preventing you from going back to version 10?

Jakob!
                          Foxit did not advertise this as a "beta" version, and they charged me $100 for it. And, in my case, although I did downgrade to version 10, "something else" was only a tiny bit behind Foxit, and now with their new release (which only costs half as much to upgrade), "something else" works better. "Something else" is also available for LInux, and with their current pricing/licensing structure, "something else" will be cheaper to maintain going forward. I'm not interested in waiting around until November to see if Foxit fixes their issues under these circumstances, especially since I also encountered a crash which may or may not be fixed in 11.1, and I'm also not interested in maintaining licenses for two different PDF editors if I don't need to. And, although I do appreciate Foxit's responsiveness, I don't consider 6+ months to issue what should be a fairly simple patch for a show-stopper to be "great support". It's not horrible support, since downgrading is an option, but I think it's a stretch to call it "great".

I would also expect the version 10 "solution" to be problematic for organizations, who need something they can depend on, and who may want to keep things current for security reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakob View Post

Jakob!
                            Oh I for one am not turning my back on Foxit. What I liked the most is the attention to detail that Foxit has to support a better reading and commenting environment than Adobe readers. For example, the keyboard shortcuts for commenting tools, the separate-the-first-page-from-the-rest function, the faster pageturns etc--every thing that's the opposite of this intrusive new feature. I've downgraded to Phantom and it's faster than the editor too but I do sympathize with those who are complaining. Hope it got fixed on the Editor ASAP.

Comment

I also just created an account to say that the new format tab is very anoying.

I am also a long term user.

Additional I have problems with the property window. If you go on a comment with right click selecting properties a small window pops up. If you are working with more than one displays you have no problem to find that window. But if you are leaving your office an you are on journey still this property window pops up on the display that I didn't take with me. Here it would be far much better to be able to place the property windows entries together with the format entries at the right, better upper pane. At the moment I all the time have to go to the taskmanger to get the damend property window maximised to be able to place it on my laptop monitor.

It would be a lot better if you would use the same philosophy you use on the left pane on the right pane as well. Then we would have some buttons which would make the right pane wide when we need it. Even better it would be to just have the different format or properties buttons and on pressing them we would get a popup menu where we can select the different options. Like you do it in the top panel for example when you press the zoom option.

But please fix asap the automatic opening of that right format panel.

An other problem introduced with the version 11 is that copying of annotations runs a lot slower. The shortcut CTRL+C often does not work, same with crtl+leftclick so you often have to use right click selecting copy, go to where you want to insert right click select paste. I would apreciate that this would work again as smooth as it did in the versions below 11.

Comment

Thank you for your feedback. Absolutely, I do hope the format panel issue will be improved as soon as possible, and we have already pushed the engineering team to speed it up, once there is any update we will keep you informed. Your kind understanding is highly appreciated.
                                The Ctrl+C does not work issue has been addressed, and it will be fixed in next release 11.1, please keep an eye on it.
                                For the property window issue you mentioned, I am not quite clear about it, if you are out of office and just take laptop with you, when you try to open the property window, it should show on your laptop screen, how can it show on other monitor?

Comment

Working...
                                X