Foxit 7.2.0.722 severe handles leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foxit 7.2.0.722 severe handles leak

I've been using current versions of Foxit in Windows 10 without incident since last fall, but this week after upgrading to v7.2, I noticed a rather severe problem that appeared after Foxit had been running for about 21 hours: Task Manager showed that Foxit's process was using an extremely high number of handles.

I noticed this because on a 16GB system, Windows came up with a "low memory" warning, something that I've never seen before. And sure enough, it showed that I was using about 15GB out of 16GB. Foxit's process wasn't using a high amount of memory, just handles, but a high number of handles is known for causing "low memory" problems. Upon closing Foxit, I suddenly gained back about 10GB. The system was back to its normal 4GB or 5GB overall usage.

I'll revert back to the previous Foxit version for now. Note that this was with the RTM release of Windows 10, something that I've been running for almost two weeks now. The previous version of Foxit had no problem with it. I bet this is a problem in Win 8.1 too, but I don't know.

Thank you for your post. For better investigation, would you mind providing us below info?
    1)What did you do with Foxit Reader when you noticed this issue?
    2)You said it had been running for 21 hours, did it run on the background without any usage or you had always been using it to make comments etc?
    3) Could you please make a screenshot of the handles leak so we can forward to Dev team for a closer look?

Comment

1. Nothing. I wasn't actively using it right then. I merely had it running and minimized to the taskbar with the same handful of documents open in it that I usually have.
      2. Yes, earlier in that 21-hour period I had used it briefly to read one or more of those documents, but I didn't do anything else with it (no commenting, etc).
      3. That would require re-installing that version again and waiting for it to happen. I'm not sure that would tell them much anyway. The number is usually under 1000. When the problem occurred, it was in the hundreds of thousands if not higher (I don't recall the exact number).

Comment

I'm having the same problem in Windows 8.1 pro x64.

I was wondering why my computer was running so low on ram, no application seemed to be using it, so I started to close one application at a time to find out what was causing it.
        When closing Foxit Reader (v 7.2.0.722) task manager showed a 100 % disk usage on my SSD from Foxit. After closer to a minute Foxit finally closed and my memory usage dropped several gigabytes. At this point Foxit had been opened for at least over a day.

Looking at Windows task manager at handles, it is increasing steadily whenever a PDF is opened. This could very well be the cause of the memory leak, as rseiler describes.

I'm attaching a link to a small screen capture showing this behavior. It's a Swedish OS, but looking at "Referencer" (handles) shows an increase whenever a PDF is active and it stays steady when the start tab is selected.

Comment

Apparently it is a handle to the folder containing the PDF file that is never released, not even after closing the file.
          Edit: if image is not visible due to scaling, here it is on google drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6S...ew?usp=sharing
          Last edited by Icermann; 08-25-2015, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Hi Icermann,

Please open "File"->"Preferences"->"Foxit Cloud" to check if "Automatically upload files to Foxit Cloud when they are opened in Foxit Reader" has been unticked. If this option makes no change, please go to "Control Panel"->"Programs and Features" to uninstall Foxit Cloud and see if the issue persists. Thank you.

Comment

I am also experiencing the handle leak under Win10 64bit as soon as a document is loaded. I am noticing 100 new handles being created per second after a PDF file is loaded. The new handles are all file handles for the directory where the PDF document is stored. I do not have FoxIt Cloud installed.

Comment

I guess I should have mentioned that in my original post, sorry.
                Yes, i did uninstall Foxit Cloud without any improvement.

Comment

Found something strange and signed up to see if this can at least help. I left Foxit open for a day before fulling my 16GB or ram and 16 GB of page file, i had a 9 digit number of handles and counting and when i closed all my tab the memory took a minute to free and everything was normal. I restarted and don't know why i clicked on the comment tab in foxit and i saw the handles stoped to grow, it seem for me the home and the share tab cause the leak if you click on the comment tab the leak will stop, so if you do that right after you open the leak will stop and you will be good to leave it there if you don't need to use that. If someone want to try to see if this work this can be a temporary fix if you only use that to read pdf.

Comment

I just tried and I have the same behavior as AwArd, only the 'home' and 'share' tabs are triggering the handles to increase, all other tabs seem to be unaffected.

Comment

Hi guys,

Please go to installation folder of Foxit Reader, somewhere like C:\Program Files (x86)\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader, navigate to the folder plugins, rename or delete the file DocoShare.fpi to see if it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by lyndi_wu View Post
                        Hi guys,

Please go to installation folder of Foxit Reader, somewhere like C:\Program Files (x86)\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader, navigate to the folder plugins, rename or delete the file DocoShare.fpi to see if it helps.
                        Deleted the DocoShare.fpi and the handle leak seem to have stopped.

Comment

Removing DocoShare.fpi works for me as well, it seems like you have managed to find the culprit.

Comment

Instead of deleting 'DocoShare.fpi' (located on my computer in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\plugins\DocoShare.fpi"), I tried re-naming it instead to 'DocoShare.fpi.old'.

That worked too; instead of getting close to 1 million handles after about 15 min or so, the handles on my computer stay at less than 1,000 with several PDFs open. I am using Windows 7 Professional x64 with 4GB of RAM.

The culprit is definitely that plugin. FOXIT, PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP!
                            Last edited by greatman05; 09-01-2015, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Hi greatman05,

Foxit QA team has been aware of this and are investigating on it. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X