Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bug: non-ASCII symbols when commenting

The following is seemingly a bug:
    At least in the Linux version of the Reader 1.0.1.0925 and the Windows version 6.2.3.0815 (tested under WINE) there are some problems with non-ASCII symbols in the typewriter and commenting notes:
    1. In both versions, insertion of non-Latin symbols (tested on Hebrew and Cyrillic) and some non-ASCII Latin symbols (ħŋŧł etc) directly from the keyboard or with copy-pasting is impossible: they are seemingly just ignored in the Windows version and are shown as blank spaces in the native Linux version.
    2. In the native Linux version, some Western-European symbols with diacritics (namely, German üäö) are automatically capitalized when typed from the keyboard. This doesn't happen when copy-pasting, nor does it seem to happen to combinatorial symbols like éèê etc.

This might be related to this discussion:
    Hello all, Does anybody know if foxit reader supports any kind of math/equation/symbols when writing comments/annotations/typewriter/textboxs? Preferably

har-wradim

Could you please help make a comparison screenshot shows the before and after so we know the issue intuitively then further proceed? Thank you.

Comment

cherry

Here are two examples for the respective points above:

in the first one a Yiddish word (פאָקסיט) is typed in the search box (rendered correctly) and in a typewriter box (all letters are shown as blank spaces).

in the second one a German word (Gehäuseöffnungstürschließer) is rendered correctly when typed in the search box and when pasted in the typewriter box, but gets corrupted when typed in the typewriter box: the letters äöü get capitalized (note that ß is rendered properly).

Comment

cherry Any progress? I think this is a rather serious issue.

Comment

har-wradim

Could you please kindly email the screenshots and the PDF document that includes the characters to support@foxitsoftware.com and put in the subject Attn: Cherry so I could further proceed? Thank you.
          Last edited by cherry; 06-16-2016, 10:17 AM.

Comment

In the Linux version this issue with non-ASCII characters is the biggest problem at the moment in addition to a number of missing features.

I've just downloaded and installed the latest version of Foxit Reader for Linux, and saw a huge progress since the previous one - many thanks for this!
            But I would think it shouldn't be too much complicated and time-consuming to sort of port the code used in the Linux-based Android version to desktop Linux.
            Last edited by Sadi; 06-20-2016, 08:17 AM.

Comment

@​Sadi,

Got your email. Thanks for sending all the info in the email.

Comment

cherry Sadi
                Sorry for being absent for quiet a while. Is there any news?

Comment

cherry Sadi

It seems, in the current version (2.2.1025) the bug is fixed. That's really great!
                  Yet another related problem has emerged: in RTL scripts when one uses diacritic marks they are separated from from the respective letters instead of appearing above, below or in them. This bug is relevant e.g. to Yiddish (some letters are always composite), pointed Hebrew (not an everyday need) and pointed Arabic (also rare AFAIK). Besides Yiddish, I guess, diacritics are regularly used also in Urdu, Farsi and related alphabets.

As a test case take this PDF with a pointed Hebrew text: http://www.filedropper.com/hetest. To reproduce the problem, copy any word and paste it as a comment.

Comment

cherry Sadi

It seems, in the current version (2.2.1025) the bug is fixed. That's really great!
                    Yet another related problem has emerged: in RTL scripts when one uses diacritic marks they are separated from from the respective letters instead of appearing above, below or in them. This bug is relevant e.g. to Yiddish (some letters are always written with diacritics), pointed Hebrew (not an everyday need) and pointed Arabic (also rare AFAIK). Besides Yiddish, I guess, diacritics are regularly used also in Urdu, Farsi and related alphabets.

Example:
                    typed/pasted הָאָרֶץ, displayed ה ָא ָר ֶץ

Since I am somehow not allowed to attach any files, I'd be happy to send a sample via e-mail if needed.

Comment

I was wondering if there's any progress on this matter :-/)

Comment

Originally posted by Sadi View Post
                        I was wondering if there's any progress on this matter :-/)
                        Dear Sadi,

Would you please give our most current version 2.3 of Foxit Reader for Linux a try at your convenience?
                        It could be downloaded below:
                        (32-bit)http://cdn02.foxitsoftware.com/pub/f...tup.run.tar.gz
                        (64-bit)http://cdn02.foxitsoftware.com/pub/f...tup.run.tar.gz
                        If there is still any problem,please tell us which charaters that you can not inputted in PDF file in our Foxit Reader
                        for Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by har-wradim View Post
                          cherry Sadi

Yet another related problem has emerged: in RTL scripts when one uses diacritic marks they are separated from from the respective letters instead of appearing above, below or in them. This bug is relevant e.g. to Yiddish (some letters are always written with diacritics), pointed Hebrew (not an everyday need) and pointed Arabic (also rare AFAIK). Besides Yiddish, I guess, diacritics are regularly used also in Urdu, Farsi and related alphabets.

Example:
                          typed/pasted הָאָרֶץ, displayed ה ָא ָר ֶץ

Since I am somehow not allowed to attach any files, I'd be happy to send a sample via e-mail if needed.
                          Dear har-wradim,

Would you please give our most current version 2.3 of Foxit Reader for Linux a try at your convenience?
                          It could be downloaded below:
                          (32-bit)http://cdn02.foxitsoftware.com/pub/f...tup.run.tar.gz
                          (64-bit)http://cdn02.foxitsoftware.com/pub/f...tup.run.tar.gz
                          If the issue still persists,please help to send us one PDF file with the problematic letters that you mentioned
                          and also send us one word file with the same letters for us to do a comparison.
                          Please help to email the documents to support@foxitsoftware.com (Attn:Lisa). And indicate this thread link. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                          X