No announcement yet.

Please add support for both stylus and fingers on touch screen in Foxit Reader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback Please add support for both stylus and fingers on touch screen in Foxit Reader

First, I want to thank the Foxit team for developing such a great reader. Since I found it several years ago, it has become an essential tool for my everyday work. I am a scientist and need to read a lot of articles in PDF. This reader makes reading a fun and efficient process.

I had been very happy with an older version of Foxit (v602.0413) used on my old Thinkpad tablet 2, which has a stylus. The reason I like this version is because it was smart enough to know the difference of the stylus and fingers. So I could select a comment tool (such as underline), pan the document with fingers (two fingers worked the best), and use the stylus to underline whichever part I like. The stylus and fingers worked in harmony.

Recently I upgraded to a Surface Pro, which runs Windows 10. I really like the tablet but the old version of Foxit wasn't compatible with it. The new versions of Foxit however lost the ability to distinguish the stylus and fingers. So when I have a comment tool selected (e.g. the underline tool), both my fingers and the stylus were treated the same as the underline tool. Without the ability to pan the document in the tablet mode really makes using it much more difficult.

I was surprised that I couldn't find many people talking about this problem, given that more and more people will likely use Foxit Reader on touch screen PCs. What I found out was that some people wanted to use fingers as a stylus for commenting on their touch screen, presumably because their tablets didn't come with digitizers and stylus. Because of this, it seems to me the Foxit team treated the feature I like as a bug and fixed it in the new versions. I would like to request adding this feature back, perhaps as an option for users to select. Because of this issue, I tried to find alternative PDF readers that can handle both stylus and fingers. I bought Drawboard PDF for the very same reason. However, IMHO, Foxit is way easier to use in many other ways. So I hope the Foxit team could look into this issue and add the option in future updates.

Thanks.

Hi Coldspring,

Would you please make a video to show the difference of the stylus and fingers when comment on touch screen? Then we can better advice.

Comment

Sure. I will do that.

Comment

Hi lyndi_wu,

Sorry this took me some time. I made a video to show this problem. You can watch it at https://youtu.be/W35v5_hMfqU. (https://youtu.be/W35v5_hMfqU)

I hope it is clear to you the new and old versions of Foxit Reader treat stylus and fingers in different ways. It will be great if the feature in the old version of Foxit can be added back to the new version.

Thanks,

Coldspring

Comment

coldspring

Thank you for your reply. I have reported your issue to our team, they will do further investigation. Report ID:74995

Comment

Hi lyndi_wu,

Thank you. I hope to hear back.

Comment

coldspring

You may email to support@foxitsoftware.com with this ID# to track the processing status.

Comment

Working...
              X