Change Highlighting of Results of Find Command

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change Highlighting of Results of Find Command

The result(s) of a Find Command are often difficult to see on the page, and sometimes not on the displayed page (they are just below it).
    How can the highlight color (the color of the background behind the text matching the find criteria) be changed to make results more obvious? Can the highlighted area be made to flash as well?

So if you want to highlight a lot of fields in a lot of documents with complex queries this highlighter will not be fast. In its efforts to accurately reflect query logic it creates a tiny in-memory index and re-runs the original query criteria through Lucene’s query execution planner to get access to low-level match information on the current document.

Comment

It's just work

Comment

Highlighting color of searching result could be changed if you click gear icon to open the drop-down list and select Properties (see the screenshot).
        Attached Files

Comment

I see that the release 8.1, in the gearbox, there is a color option, whereas in release 7.3 there was no color option. The color option is good.
          Incidentally, when I upgraded from 7.3 to 8.1 my customized entries in the quick access toolbar disappeared. Fairly annoying. Is there any way to get these back? Shouldn't they have been retained?
          Part of the problem in visually spotting the found text is the size of the area highlighted. Foxit highlights a minimal rectangle surrounding the letter found. MS Word, on the other hand, highlights a rectangle whose size reflects the amount of space that Word is reserving for that character on the page. See attached.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Foxit highlight area.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	160728
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Word highlight area.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	160729

A few more comments:
          If I am searching for a character string such as "cat" it would be nice if the number of occurrences was immediately displayed. This is what many browsers do. They also often offer an option to highlight all occurrences.
          And finally, one thing that has always bothered me about Foxit is its lack of keystrokes to move between tabs. Excel and most browsers use Ctrl+PgUp and Ctrl+PgDn to move left and right when you have many tabs open. This is extremely useful.

Comment

I see that the release 8.1, in the gearbox there is a color option, whereas release 7.3 there was no color option. The color option is good.

Incidentally, when I upgraded from 7.3 to 8.1 my customized entries in the quick access toolbar disappeared. Fairly annoying. Is there any way to get these back? Shouldn't they have been retained?

Part of the problem in visually spotting the found text is the size of the area highlighted. Foxit highlights a minimal rectangle surrounding the letter found. MS Word, on the other hand, highlights a rectangle whose size reflects the amount of space that Word is reserving for that character on the page. See attached.

A few more comments:

If I am searching for a character string such as "cat" it would be nice if the number of occurrences was immediately displayed. This is what many browsers do. They also often offer an option to highlight all occurrences.

And finally, one thing that has always bothered me about Foxit is its lack of keystrokes (keyboard method) to move between tabs. Excel and most browsers use Ctrl+PgUp and Ctrl+PgDn to move left and right when you have many tabs open. This is extremely useful.

Attached Files

Comment

Did you choose to remove all history data when upgrading to version 8? The customized entries in the quick access toolbar could not be restored once it was removed. The data about quick access toolbar is saved under registy
              HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\Ribbon. You could right click to export the data for future use. Or just choose No to remove the history data or settings during update.

To view the number of occurrences, I may suggest you to search with search panel. See the screenshot for the option.

The shortcut key to switch between tab is Ctrl+Tab, which is same as the one used in browser.

Your suggestion about highlightsing a rectangle whose size reflects the amount of space while searching like the way Word does has been reported to our product team for evaluation with feature ID:PHANTOM-7148. We'll keep you know if the feature is available.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the answers.

Not intentionally. I do not recall an option to remove/not history. I am using installer v.8.1.0.1013.

I find Ctrl+tab more difficult to use because my right hand must travel to the left side of the keyboard. Perhaps I prefer using Ctrl+PgUp because I am right handed. The right hand is usually positioned near the PgUp and PgDn keys which are located of the right side of the keyboard. Both methods work in the browsers that it tested. Both methods work when you view file properties under Windows Explorer. "Ctrl+tab" does not in Excel. If you want to navigate to the left, Ctrl+PgUp is easier than Ctrl+alt+tab. Implementing this would give you an advance over Acrobat Reader!

On my computer the settings are stored under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader 7.0\Ribbon\Ribbon Quick Access Toolbar and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader 8.0\Ribbon\Ribbon Quick Access Toolbar. I can copy them over.

Comment

Thank you for the valuable suggestion. Your feedback about the shortcut key has been submitted to our feature tracking system as well PHANTOM-7159 for evaluation. Hope it could be implemented in future release.

Comment

How do you do this on Linux? There's no gear icon next to the search box.

Comment

earcanal The function is not available in Foxit Reader Lite on Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X