File Associations Problem on Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug File Associations Problem on Linux

On some Linux distributions, specifically Ubuntu and Manjaro, many file types get associated with Foxit Reader, without having anything to do with PDF. For example, mp3 files get associated with Foxit, and a Foxit Reader menu item appears in the Open With menu for mp3 files and many other file types. I think this is a problem that should be resolved since it is a bit annoying. Firefox tries to open any downloaded file, pdf or not, with Foxit Reader.

On some Linux distributions, specifically Ubuntu and Manjaro, many file types get associated with Foxit Reader, without having anything to do with PDF. For example, mp3 files get associated with Foxit, and a Foxit Reader menu item appears in the "Open With" menu for mp3 files and many other file types. I think this is a problem that should be resolved since it is a bit annoying. Firefox tries to open any downloaded file, PDF or not, with Foxit Reader.

Comment

carmino Caminostro

Would you please let me know your linux system version info and the version of Foxit Reader? Thank you in advance.

Comment

I use Manjaro Linux 17.0.1 and Foxit Reader 2.3.1. I also used Ubuntu 16.04.2 before switching to Manjaro.

Comment

The Linux Kernel version is 4.9.20-1.

Comment

Even I had encountered similar problems with a distribution Lubuntu

Comment

Hi all,

I have reported the issue to our team for further investigation. Report ID:MACLNX-1317.

You may email to support@foxitsoftware.com with this ID# to track the processing status or post here. Thank you.

Comment

Hello, I am having this same issue on CentOS 7.4 with Foxit Reader 2.4.1.0609 installed in my home directory (not system wide).

Comment

Originally posted by Petaris View Post
                  Hello, I am having this same issue on CentOS 7.4 with Foxit Reader 2.4.1.0609 installed in my home directory (not system wide).
                  Dear Petaris,

Thanks for your post. This issue has been acknowledged by us and it has been submitted to our internal bug tracking system for our Dev team's further processing. Report ID#MACLNX-1317.

Comment

This has happened to me as well. Foxit Reader associated itself with every single file types and has became the default application for opening all files. Please provide a fix first, the whole operating system is unusable now unless I remove the Foxit Reader entry in thousands of file types' associations manually or do a complete reinstall.

openSUSE Tumbleweed, Kernel 4.13.1, KDE Plasma 5.10.5.

*Edit:
                    So some testing was done after a freshly installed system, the installer (2.4.1.0609) did not cause the issue, but Foxit Reader itself fucked everything up after the File Association action was invoked.

I've removed ~/.cache, ~/.config as a dirty fix, it worked for me on one machine, but I had to also remove ~/.local to erase the defaults on the other machine. Needless to say that this will erase a lot of your config files and potentially valuable data, so be careful and back up your things before attempting this.
                    Last edited by 49616e; 09-27-2017, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Dear 49616e, Thanks for sharing with us your temporary workaround.
                      We will keep you informed here once this problem is rectified.

Comment

Working...
                      X