Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are there two persistent established connections to remote hosts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are there two persistent established connections to remote hosts?

Hi, I installed Foxit Reader 8.3.2.25013 this morning and noticed 3 outbound connections when I ran the program, one of which closed 2 seconds later (to 184.105.214.144:443 - ISP: Hurricane Electric in California).

I had chosen to not install ConnectedPDF nor the trial of PhantomPDF. I went through every option in Preferences turning off any options that hinted at outside communication, e.g. no updates, no time stamp servers, no Privileged Locations. In theory I've done everything necessary that I can see to ensure that Foxit Reader is self-contained.

However, nearly 6 hours later with Foxit Reader just sat there open (with no PDF file loaded) I can see that 2 remote connections still remain established, one to what is obviously an Amazon AWS server (34.228.206.59:443 - ec2-34-228-206-59.compute-1.amazonaws.com) and the other to 157.22.19.177:443 - ISP: ViaNet Communications in California.

Can you please tell me:

1. What is the purpose of these 2 persistent established connections?
    2. Is there a way of disabling these connections, e.g. a registry edit?
    3. If not, what - if any - effect on functionality will there be if I just block them?

(I'm using Windows 7 Pro x64.)

Regards,

Rick

PS - The reason I ask is that I still have Foxit Reader 8.0.0.624 on another Windows 7 Pro x64 PC. Even with no PDF file loaded, this also exhibits persistent established connections to Amazon AWS servers but also 2 established connections to an IP address in China (124.160.136.156 - ISP: China Unicom Zhejiang), one which is secure (that closes) and the other which is insecure and persists. I've attached a really small CurrPorts log (renamed to .txt) for you to see. I run MalwareBytes Premium and full scans (inc. rootkit) indicate the PC is clean. However, I'm wary of any product that persists in making outbound connections unless I know why and what for.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RickC; 10-04-2017, 07:57 PM. Reason: Added more info

Dear RickC,

In fact,there are some components in our Foxit PhantomPDF would communicate with Foxit servers,such as start page,Foxit updater,ConnectedPDF feature.
    For those IPs you mentioned,we have submitted them to our Dev team with report ID#QCPHANTOM-5222.Any updates from them,I will keep you informed as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa_lee View Post
      Dear RickC,

In fact,there are some components in our Foxit PhantomPDF would communicate with Foxit servers,such as start page,Foxit updater,ConnectedPDF feature.
      For those IPs you mentioned,we have submitted them to our Dev team with report ID#QCPHANTOM-5222.Any updates from them,I will keep you informed as soon as possible.
      Thank you for your reply, Lisa. Much appreciated.

To reiterate, I chose to not install ConnectedPDF nor the trial of PhantomPDF. I also disabled the Start page and Foxit updater.

I look forward to a reply from your Dev team.

Regards,

Rick

Comment

More than a week has passed with no further update. I was hoping for an explanation (from the Dev team?) about the 2 persistent established connections and my subsequent questions in my original post.

Should I infer from this that Foxit has no interest in answering legitimate concerns of its users?

Regards,

Rick
        Last edited by RickC; 10-14-2017, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Dear Rick,

Thanks for your time to wait for our response. This IP"184.105.214.144:443" is for connecting to our server to update the stratpage in Foxit Reader.
          This IP"157.22.19.177" is for connect to server to update advertisement.
          In our next upgrade version 9.0,we will add an switch for disabling all features which require internet connection.
          Once you have check the option"Disable all features which require internet connection" under "General"tab in preferences dialog box,then your Foxit Reader won't do external connection.
          If you want to give our internal beta 9.0 version of Foxit Reader a try ,you may email it to support@foxitsoftware.com (Attn:Lisa). And indicate this thread link. Thank you.

Comment

Good afternoon,

I have the same set up as Rick where I do not install ConnectedPDF and I disabled the Start page and Foxit updater. I have downloaded and tested version 9.0 but it is still generating connections to Hurricane Electric. I have disabled connections to the internet via the Configuration Toolkit but it makes no difference.

The option "Disable all features which require internet connection" under "General" tab in preferences dialog box shows as Greyed out and ticked.

Please can you advise.

Thanks

Hazel

Comment

Working...
            X