Screen positioning problems with Linux Foxit Reader 2.4.1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen positioning problems with Linux Foxit Reader 2.4.1

I am using Foxit Reader 2.4.1 on Linux Slackware64 14.2 and KDE4. I have Foxit Reader set as the default application for .PDF files. When I click on a PDF file to open it, Foxit Reader invariable opens behind all other windows necessitating me to close or shrink obfuscating windows in order to get to the Foxit Reader window. Also, it usually opens with the menu bar off the top of the screen necessitating me to use ALT-mouse to drag to down so the menu is visible. No other programs behave this way including the default/shipped Okular PDF reader.

Dear OHPRS,

I apologize for any difficulty using Foxit Software.For this situation you mentioned,we need your help to provide with us the following information for further investigation:
    1: Do you use duplex display monitors? If so,we need to know which display mode did you choose for your multiple monitors "Duplicate" "extend" "Disable first monitor" or any other mode?
    2:How about if you double click on Foxit Reader icon to open Foxit Reader application directly without opening any PDF file on your part? Will it be opened behind all other windows too?
    3:Did this situation happen to all PDF files or just some specific PDF files when you tried to open them? Please send us one PDF file that you tried to open.
    4:Send us a screenshot to show us the situation"it usually opens with the menu bar off the top of the screen".
    5:It is better if could help to record a video to show us all of the two issues you mentioned at your convenience.
    If it is inconvenience to upload the files here, you may email it to support@foxitsoftware.com (Attn:Lisa). And indicate this thread link. Thank you.

Look forward to your reply.

Comment

Thanks for the post.

Comment

Have you tried to change the screen resolution? I think that's the cause of the error

Comment

I have the issue too where "it usually opens with the menu bar off the top of the screen necessitating me to use ALT-mouse to drag to down so the menu is visible" .
          I am running FoxitReader2.4.1.0609_Server_x64 on Lubuntu 16.04 on a laptop with a 1366x768 LCD display.

The issue is that when FoxitReader launches it subtracts 44 from the Y position and 1 from the X position - see below:
          Code:
          $ grep Window%20[PS] ./.config/Foxit\ Software/Foxit\ Reader.conf
          Window%20Position=@Point(3 196)
          Window%20Size=@Size(1100 530)
          $ FoxitReader 2>/dev/null &
          [1] 17689
          Window%20Position=@Point(2 152)
          Window%20Size=@Size(1100 530)
          $ # now close window
          [1]+  Done                    FoxitReader 2> /dev/null
          So you can see here the position changes when you launch Foxit, and when you close it the Windows position is saved correctly.
          Below is what happens to window position if I close and open Foxit:

Window%20Position=@Point(1 108)
          Window%20Position=@Point(0 64)
          Window%20Position=@Point(-1 20)
          Window%20Position=@Point(65535 0)
          Window%20Position=@Point(914 -24)
          Window%20Position=@Point(913 -24)

Note the Windows position is saved correctly, so if I moved the window to "Y position" of 0 before closing, then the conf file will read zero, but when I relaunch Foxit then it will try to subtract 44 which is too much so Y goes to -24 where the menu bar cannot be seen.

So looks like there is a bug when you launch Foxit - note this does not happen with any other application.
          Last edited by mikebounds; 03-20-2018, 10:50 AM.

Comment

My work around to the issue where Foxit opens with the menu bar off the top of the screen is to add the following to /opt/foxitsoftware/foxitreader/FoxitReader.sh (need to edit file as root) after the first line (#!/bin/sh):

Code:
            if [ ! "`ps -ef | grep '[/]opt/foxitsoftware/foxitreader/FoxitReader '`" ]
            then
                    sed -i -e 's/^Window%20Position.*/Window%20Position=@Point(1 44)/'  ~/.config/Foxit\ Software/Foxit\ Reader.conf
            fi
            As Foxits, subtracts 44 from Y and 1 from X, this will place the window at at fixed position of 0,0 - you can of course choose a different fixed position, or add some more code to add 1 and 44 to the current position, so that the current position is preserved (when Foxit then subtracts 1 and 44).

Comment

Dear OHPRS Tech and mikebounds,

We have submitted the issue"Foxit Reader for Linux menu bar is off the top of the screen"to our internal bug tracking system for our QA team to do further analysis
              with report ID#MACLNX-1864.We will keep you informed for any updates about this issue or you may also write back to support@foxitsoftware.com to track its processing status.

Comment

Working...
              X