Serious Problem: Foxit Reader is deleting my PDF files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Problem: Foxit Reader is deleting my PDF files

Foxit Reader (version 2.4.1.0609 Linux 64bit) is deleting my PDF files. This is a serious problem, and needs a solution.

I submitted this problem through a web form on comm100.com (web chat was unavailable at the time), and over 24 hours later, not even an automated response to acknowledge the submission.

Here's the workflow.

The Legal department gives me a set of Latex document in French, I translate them into English, generate PDF documents and send them back to Legal for checking.

Legal marks up the documents using Foxit Reader's commenting tools, and sends the marked-up PDF back to me.

I work through the comments, checking off as accepted, rejected, completed, adding my responses, and from time to time I hit CTRL-s to save the PDF.

The first time, the file is saved fine.

But then Foxit Reader will show me the message "Failed to save document" and when I look, the file no longer exists.

I've set up a simple logging script that directs the output of ls -al to a text file every two seconds, and I see that the file goes to a size of zero bytes just before it disappears.

I have reproduced this behaviour on both my local disc and on a network disc; the discs have plenty of spare space and I'm not reaching the limit of any space quota.

Further information, from testing this morning.

Start Foxit Reader, redirecting stdout and stderr to text files.

$ FoxitReader test_comments.pdf 2> foxit_error__test_comments01.txt 1> foxit_out__test_comments01.txt

Display the navigation panel, comments.

Comments -> Close All Popup [sic].

First comment, Set Status -> Completed. Save.

Document was saved Second comment, Set Status -> Completed.

Save. I get a message "Failed to save document."

Click on OK, File -> Exit
    "Do you want to save changes to 'test_comments.pdf' before closing?"
    Click on Save. "Failed to save document."

Click on OK, File -> Exit "Do you want to save changes to 'test_comments.pdf' before closing?"

Click on Discard. Nothing happens, Foxit Reader stays on the screen, but now menus are inactive.

In the terminal window, I hit CTRL-c to close Foxit Reader.

$ ls -al foxit_*__test_comments01.txt

-rw-r--r-- 1 rhodes rhodes 23521 Jan 31 09:46 foxit_error__test_comments01.txt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 rhodes rhodes 0 Jan 31 09:41 foxit_out__test_comments01.txt

$ tail -n20 foxit_error__test_comments01.txt

CReader_UIProgressEx::setCurrValue begin: 25
    CReader_UIProgressEx::setCurrValue end: 25
    save pos: 25.4
    CReader_DocEx: SaveDocByThread_DoSave: File Permission: QFlags(0x1|0x4|0x10|0x40|0x100|0x200|0x400|0x1000| 0x2000|0x4000)
    DocReaderEx:----DoSaveThread---remove oldfile--true----copyfile failed!!!
    m_bhasAcceptUpdate: 0
    Slot_DestroyProgressBar
    ~CReader_UIProgressEx()
    [TimeStamp]-----CReader_DocumentEx::Save-----begin
    CReader_AppEx::CloseDocument begin: "09:45:03"
    [TimeStamp]-----CReader_DocumentEx::Save-----begin
    CReader_AppEx::CloseDocument begin: "09:46:26"
    CReader_AppEx::OnCloseDocument 1
    opr: "docClose"
    CReader_AppEx::OnCloseDocument deleteTab begin
    ~CPDF_TVPreview() begin
    ~CPDF_TVPreview() end
    ActivateTab--index= 0 m_nlastIndex= 1
    CReader_AppEx::OnCloseDocument deleteTab end
    ~CReader_DocumentEx() begin: "test_comments.pdf"

Started again, Checked as "completed" the first five comments.
    CTRL-s to save. Saved OK.
    Do CTRL-s to save a second time, without changing anything, FAIL.

File -> Exit, clicked on "discard", the program does not exit.

So it looks like Foxit Reader fails to save a file a second time. Why would this be?
    Last edited by Keith_KRH; 01-31-2018, 09:36 AM. Reason: Reformatted the text (BB software had removed all newlines in first submission)

Dear Keith,

We have received your email in our ticket system which ticket number is #158507.We apologize for the delay in responding to your ticket since we're inundated with hundreds of emails every day these days. For any urgent request next time,we suggest you give us a call directly since we prioritize phone calls over email. Foxit Support line:1-866-693-6948.

For this issue"Failed to save PDF file and PDF file got deleted",it has been submitted to our internal bug tracking system for our QA team to do further analysis with report ID#MACLNX-1182.
    I will keep you informed for any updates about it or you may also write back to support@foxitsoftware.com with this report ID#MACLNX-1182 to track its processing status.

Comment

Working...
    X