Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent documents never found after restart (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug Recent documents never found after restart (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS)

Hello, I really like Foxit Reader for Linux as it is the only reader combining all the features a researcher needs on the Linux platform.

However, one thing makes my life continuously hard at work and that is that "Recent Documents" does not work as expected. Although the documents are listed in the left pane after a restart, clicking on one always gives an error message as shown below.This is really annoying after you have been working for hours and have a dozen different PDFs downloaded from the web and open in foxit and then you close/leave. You lose all the PDF documents irrecoverably and have to download all of them again in the next session. That takes such a long time... :-(

I understand that it is related to the developers' choice to access "Recent Document" under the path /tmp/mozilla_m0/ when I download them using firefox. As this is /tmp alls gets lost when the application is closed...

Let me suggest a simple remedy: Let users configure a download/recent document path in the preferences and then save all PDFs the user opens in there. It will persist and the problem is solved, plus users have a useful new feature for managing their PDF materials.

Thank you very much for considering this!
    digisus

edit: marked as bug.
    Screenshot of error message.
    Last edited by digisus; 04-09-2018, 07:29 AM.

digisus

Did you download the PDF document to your local disk before you try to reopen them from the "Recent Document" list? Is it possible to record a small video that shows your procedure so we could try to reproduce the problem per your instruction? Which version of Foxit Reader are your using?
    You may upload the video to your cloud (E.g. Google Drive or Dropbox) then share the download link with us so we could take a closer look at it. Thank you.

Comment

cherry

Thanks for your reply. I'm working so no time for a video, but I can describe it in text:

I browse to a website containing a PDF (using firefox).
      I open the PDF from the web in foxit reader.
      I can read it okay...

I close firefox.
      I close foxit.

I reopen foxit and it shows me the PDF under "recent document".
      If I click on it, I get the error message shown above.

So, I seem to understand that the PDFs are stored in tmp cache and obviously lost after closing Firefox.

However, if one opens many PDFs from the browser during a day (for research), one does not save all of them.
      I would still expect "recent documents" to show the opened PDFs from the previous day when opening foxit the next morning.

Therefor, I suggested to add an option for users to decide where to store PDFs opened from the web (but not saved).
      Because if it cannot do that, it should not show recent documents it cannot open on a regular basis.

I hope this was clear enough to replicate. Please let me know if it works - and what you think.

Thanks a lot for taking care,
      digisus

EDIT:
      ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS
      firefox 59.0.2. quantum
      foxit 2.4.1.0609
      Last edited by digisus; 04-11-2018, 09:39 AM. Reason: versions added

Comment

Working...
      X