Foxit Reader closes very slowly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foxit Reader closes very slowly

I use Foxit Reader Version 9.1.0.5096 and I am having an issue w/it taking a long time to close - approximately 5-7 seconds. This happens most times I close the reader. Any ideas what could be going on? This has been going on for several weeks.

Could you please check the option 'Disable connected pdf features' and uncheck 'Show Advertisement' under File ->Preferences ->General in Foxit Reader and see if it makes any differences? Thank you.

Comment

I made the change and I am not noticing any improved performance.

Comment

Javier J Echavarri ,I apologize for the inconvenience. We suggest you try to remove Foxit Reader from control panel and delete its registry keys, then reinstall it to see if it helps?
        Please do as follows:
        1)Please make sure you've closed all Foxit Reader related programs (IE, Firefox...) then go to "Control Panel"->"Add/Remove Programs" to uninstall Foxit Reader;
        Go to "Start"->"Run"-> input regedit -> find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader 9.0" and "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader 9.0" to delete the whole folder of Foxit Reader 9.0;
        2)Install the latest version 9.1 of Foxit Reader.Please download the installer from the link below:
        http://cdn09.foxitsoftware.com/produ...etup_Clean.exe
        If the issue still persists in the new installation,please help to send us the following information for further analysis:
        1:Your OS information(eg:mine is windows 10x64bit).
        2:Please just open the stand-alone Foxit Reader itself without opening any PDF file,then try to close Foxit Reader to see if it will be close quickly?
        3:Please help to gather .dmp file for us which will be helpful for our QA team to diagnose this issue based the .dmp file:
        (1): Download "procdump.exe" file from the link below:
        http://sync-us.foxitsoftware.com/iss/Tools/procdump.exe
        (2):Open PDF file in Foxit Reader.
        (3): Right click on Windows Start , choose Command Prompt (Admin) to open your cmd window as adminisrator right.
        (4):Change the folder which you want to save the dmp file,such as E:\(Input E: in the cmd window and press Enter key on keyboard).Please refer to attached screenshot:11.jpg.
        (5):Launch Task Manager , turn to Details tag and show PID column, find the PID of FoxitReader.exe.Please refer to attached screenshot:22.jpg.
        (6):Please try to close Foxit Reader application to replicate this issue. When you close Foxit Reaer,it should take you a period of time to close it finally, please proceed to the following steps quicky during the period when Foxit Reader got closed.
        (7): Drag and drop the downloaded procdmp.exe to the cmd window, input a space and the PID.Please refer to attached screenshot:33.jpg.
        (8):Press Enter key on your keyboard to generate dmp file.And find the dmp file from the folder you input in step (4) and send the dmp file to us.Please refer to attached screenshot:44.jpg and 55.jpg.
        Attached Files

Comment

Well I hate to be to quick to comment but uninstalling and reinstalling seems to have done the trick. Thank you very much.

Comment

I have the same issue, but unfortunately uninstalling and re-installing along with deleting the registry entries did not make any difference. I have also removed the following features to see if that works:
            ConnectedPDF
            OCR
            All Word,Excel, etc.. plugins

When I open a PDF file it opens quickly, but when I close the tab or program (via the "x" in the upper right), the program takes around 10-seconds or more to close.

Comment

Originally posted by RNS View Post
              I have the same issue, but unfortunately uninstalling and re-installing along with deleting the registry entries did not make any difference. I have also removed the following features to see if that works:
              ConnectedPDF
              OCR
              All Word,Excel, etc.. plugins

When I open a PDF file it opens quickly, but when I close the tab or program (via the "x" in the upper right), the program takes around 10-seconds or more to close.
              Sorry for the inconvenience. To better debug this case, could you please help to provide us below info? Thank you.
              1. Your OS information(eg:mine is windows 10x64bit).
              2. Foxit Reader version number.(Go Help->About Foxit Reader)
              3. Please just open the stand-alone Foxit Reader itself without opening any PDF file,then try to close Foxit Reader to see if it will be close quickly?
              4. Please help to gather .dmp file for us which will be helpful for our QA team to diagnose this issue based the .dmp file:
              (1): Download "procdump.exe" file from the link below:
              http://sync-us.foxitsoftware.com/iss/Tools/procdump.exe
              (2):Open PDF file in Foxit Reader.
              (3): Right click on Windows Start , choose Command Prompt (Admin) to open your cmd window as adminisrator right.
              (4):Change the folder which you want to save the dmp file,such as E:\(Input E: in the cmd window and press Enter key on keyboard).Please refer to attached screenshot:11.jpg.
              (5):Launch Task Manager , turn to Details tag and show PID column, find the PID of FoxitReader.exe.Please refer to attached screenshot:22.jpg.
              (6):Please try to close Foxit Reader application to replicate this issue. When you close Foxit Reaer,it should take you a period of time to close it finally, please proceed to the following steps quicky during the period when Foxit Reader got closed.
              (7): Drag and drop the downloaded procdmp.exe to the cmd window, input a space and the PID.Please refer to attached screenshot:33.jpg.
              (8):Press Enter key on your keyboard to generate dmp file.And find the dmp file from the folder you input in step (4) and send the dmp file to us.Please refer to attached screenshot:44.jpg and 55.jpg.
              Attached Files

Comment

Dear all,

We have implemented "launch Foxit in debug mode" this feature since V9.2 for generating log file.If you still encounter with the same issue in V9.2,please help to check the "launch in debug mode" this option by going to "File"tab in Foxit PhantomPDF/Foxit Reader,click on"Preferences">"General",please check the option"Launch in debug mode",click on "OK"to save the setting. Then try to reproduce the issue again as usual in Foxit PhantomPDF/Foxit Reader,please make sure to close Foxit PhantomPDF/Foxit Reader instantly once you finished replicating this issue.
                Finally,please navigate to the following folder:
                (For Foxit PhantomPDF users) "C:\Users\[current username]\AppData\Local\Foxit PhantomPDF"
                (For Foxit Reader users) "C:\Users\[current username]\AppData\Local\Foxit Reader"
                and package the whole "glog" folder for us since all of the logs generated under debug mode are stored in this folder,those logs will be helpful for our QA and Dev team to further diagnose this issue.
                You could always download our latest version of Foxit PhantomPDF and Foxit Reader from our official download center below:
                https://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/

Comment

It might just be, because your device ?

Comment

Originally posted by svejorange View Post
                    It might just be, because your device ?
                    I am having this same problem on my machine, and it doesn't happen on every PDF I open, just some. Some close the program instantly, others cause the program to hang and starts the "(Not Respdonging)" dialog to come up in Windows when trying to close the program. It is consistently repeatable on a per file basis, not just as I'm using the machine's resources more. Therefore it is not a device problem, it is a software problem that started with the latest version of Foxit.

Comment

jehopkin

If you're using the latest version 9.2.0, please help follow Lisa's comments about "Launch Foxit in debug mode" (File->Preference->General->tick "Launch Foxit in debug mode") then reproduce the problem to generate the log file. The log will be located in "C:\Users\[current username]\AppData\Local\Foxit PhantomPDF or Foxit Reader\glog" then pack the glog folder and send to us so we could escalate the issue to QA and Dev team for taking a closer look at. You may choose to email the log to support@foxitsoftware.com as well.

A possible workaround, you may refer to this KB article to turn off ConnectedPDF related features and see if it would help:
                      https://help.foxitsoftware.com/kb/ho...pdf--cpdf-.php

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by cherry View Post
                        jehopkin

If you're using the latest version 9.2.0, please help follow Lisa's comments about "Launch Foxit in debug mode" (File->Preference->General->tick "Launch Foxit in debug mode") then reproduce the problem to generate the log file. The log will be located in "C:\Users\[current username]\AppData\Local\Foxit PhantomPDF or Foxit Reader\glog" then pack the glog folder and send to us so we could escalate the issue to QA and Dev team for taking a closer look at. You may choose to email the log to support@foxitsoftware.com as well.

A possible workaround, you may refer to this KB article to turn off ConnectedPDF related features and see if it would help:
                        https://help.foxitsoftware.com/kb/ho...pdf--cpdf-.php

Thank you.
                        Please see attached glog package. I have turned off the ConnectedPDF features already, and unfortunately that did not resolve the issue.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jehopkin View Post

Please see attached glog package. I have turned off the ConnectedPDF features already, and unfortunately that did not resolve the issue.
                          Thanks for the post. As per check, the log is not very helpful for this issue. For further debug the issue, could you followed the workaround as richell_huang posted and send us the dump file?

Comment

Originally posted by Doris Wang View Post

Thanks for the post. As per check, the log is not very helpful for this issue. For further debug the issue, could you followed the workaround as richell_huang posted and send us the dump file?
                            I believe I followed the instructions correctly, I tried twice. Please see the attached two .txt files; note I was not able to attached .dmp files so you'll have to rename the extension to get it back to a dump file.

Here's the other requested info:

1. Your OS information(eg:mine is windows 10x64bit). - Windows 10 x64
                            2. Foxit Reader version number.(Go Help->About Foxit Reader): - Foxit PhantomPDF Education 9.2.0.9297
                            3. Please just open the stand-alone Foxit Reader itself without opening any PDF file,then try to close Foxit Reader to see if it will be close quickly? - Yes the program closes instantly. Even some PDFs will close without issue, it's only some PDFs which cause the program to temporarily freeze when closing.
                            Attached Files

Comment

jehopkin

Thanks for the info. I've summarized the info and escalated it to Foxit internal bug tracking system for QA team and Dev team's further investigation. Report ID#: QCPHANTOM-11377. We'll update the processing status here or you may email to support@foxitsoftware.com with this ID# to track the processing status.
                              One more thing, you mentioned it is only some PDFs that caused the problem. Is it possible to provide one PDF sample for testing purpose and let us know how you reproduce the problem in this particular document? Thank you again.

Comment

Working...
                              X