Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

caught a big bug when saving files!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• caught a big bug when saving files!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Open a large pdf file, by "large", I mean files with over 100 pages so that the issue will be more prominent to demonstrate .

2. Make some changes on any page, for example: add a note.

3. Click "save" button and here comes the problem: it will pop up a status window with two steps, the 1st step is "discarding invalid object", the 2nd step is "saving file". The 1st step takes quite some time to finish, but the 2nd step is very fast. When
    we repeat the experiment on Foxit Reader or any other pdf editor (such as acrobat reader pro), only "saving file" status message
    will show up and it will finish very quickly.

The workaround: after clicking the "save" button, click either "Esc" button on the keyboard or "cancel" on the stauts window,
    by doing this, the change will still be saved quickly as expected, and the lengthy "discarding invalid object" can be avoided.

I consider this as a big bug, and hopefully it can be fixed as soon as possible.
    Last edited by foxit123; 01-15-2016, 06:47 AM.

Thank you for posting it here, we need your assistance to answer below questions so we can further analysis, thank you.
    1) Which version of Foxit PhantomPDF do you use?
    2) How did you save it, by File->save or click on the save button on the toolbar?
    3) System info, eg:WIN10 64-bit.
    4)Send us one file sample you mentioned, we promise the file you send us is only for internal use.
    5) Make a screenshot of the 1st step and 2nd step you mentioned.

Comment

1) Which version of Foxit PhantomPDF do you use?
      trial verison: business edition 7.2.2.929

2) How did you save it, by File->save or click on the save button on the toolbar?
      both

3) System info, eg:WIN10 64-bit.
      win 10 pro 64 with latest update

4)Send us one file sample you mentioned, we promise the file you send us is only for internal use.
      sample1:
      http://ees2.geo.rpi.edu/gis/docs78/crw_ref.pdf

sample2:
      http://www.cnhintl.com/it/DataMaster...cs/Usergde.pdf

5) Make a screenshot of the 1st step and 2nd step you mentioned.
      refer to attachments step1.jpg and step2.jpg
      Attached Files
      Last edited by foxit123; 01-16-2016, 01:08 AM.

Comment

foxit123 ,
        The following situation you mentioned is caused by the saving mechanism of our Foxit PhantomPDF itself:
        ************************************************** ************************************************** **********************************************
        1. Open a large pdf file, by "large", I mean files with over 100 pages so that the issue will be more prominent to demonstrate .

2. Make some changes on any page, for example: add a note.

3. Click "save" button and here comes the problem: it will pop up a status window with two steps, the 1st step is "discarding invalid object", the 2nd step is "saving file". The 1st step takes quite some time to finish, but the 2nd step is very fast. When
        we repeat the experiment on Foxit Reader or any other pdf editor (such as acrobat reader pro), only "saving file" status message
        will show up and it will finish very quickly.
        ************************************************** ************************************************** ***********************************************

Foxit PhantomPDF would optimize PDF when saving PDF file. So the progress bar"discarding invalid objects and deleting unreferenced data"would appear first at the bottom left hand corner before the "saving file"progress bar appears.

And in our internal version of Foxit PhantomPDF 7.3,after clicking"save" button, click either "Esc" button on the keyboard or "cancel" on the stauts window, the "discarding invalid object"progress bar will be aborted which would cause the save failed.

Comment

This "saving mechanism" apparently has some design flaw and causes big headaches to users.

The issue is not that noticeable if the pdf file is less than 50 pages, beyond that and as page number grows, you will "feel" more and more pain.

"Save" in annotation (such as adding note, highline, etc.) should be very fast, as observed in foxit reader pro, acrobat reader pro, nuance power pdf, nitro pdf, and I don’t understand why foxit phantom treats this situation differently than foxit reader pro.

I believe annotation is the most common scenario and the redundant step 1(compared to foxit reader pro) is absolutely annoying. However, I am glad that the latest 7.3.0.118 still retains the workaround I mentioned.

Please pass my feedback to your engineers and let them evaluate how other competing products handle "save" in annotation.
          Last edited by foxit123; 01-27-2016, 05:40 AM.

Comment

can not reply?

Comment

Hello foxit123,since you didn't activated your account yet after you having registered this account,that is the problem why your posts will be transferred into unapproved posts.Now I have already helped you to activated your account(foxit123) and you will be able to post to our forum without any problem.

Comment

Lisa_lee

Thank you for activating the account for me. I re-write my response in #5 because I realize my original description is kind of of misleading or not quite accurate.

In addition, there is still some problem associated with account:

1. I can only edit or reply on the posts that created by me
                2. I cannot create new post, nor can I reply to other posts that were created by other users.
                3. I cannot view my profile after log in.
                Last edited by foxit123; 01-27-2016, 06:27 AM.

Comment

foxit123

I've changed your account setting. Please try to check again to see if your account works fine. Thank you.

Comment

foxit123

Sorry that I deleted you last post "During OCR, after pressing “cancel”, “save” button in the tool bar (or menu bar—file—save) is in gray color. Unless using “save as”, otherwise, we cannot “Save” directly, after closing the file, what has been OCRed will not be saved. The previous 7.2 has no such issue.[/" by mistake.

It's normal that the "Save" button or menu bar-file-save is grayed out when there's no change to the original PDF document. The button will become active when there's any change applied to the PDF document. The abortion of OCR process didn't change anything in the PDF document, that's why the "save" option is grayed out.

Comment

cherry at #10,
                      I need to elaborate: you are right that "Save" button should be grayed out when there is no change. But during ocr, there are some pages that have been modified, as indicated from the status bar, after clicking "cancel", the "Save" button will be highlighted and users can choose to save or not, this is the feature or desirable feature in the previous 7.2x version. With the latest 7.3x version, things change, "Save" button is still grayed out after cancelling ocr even there is modification, meaning we either ocr the whole pages that we setup or will lose all changes after cancel, I believe this is a bug more than an intention introduced in this new version, hopefully this bug can be fixed soon.

Comment

I cannot reply again, please fix, thanks.

Comment

can not reply again???

Comment

Did you ever figure out a solution for the "Discarding Invalid Objects" and "Deleting Unreferenced Data" prior to saving?

I'm just evaluating PhantomPDF, and although I prefer it to the alternatives (most notably Nitro) in most aspects, the absurdly slow saving is unfortunately a dealbreaker. If I could get rid of these two additional steps, so that it "just saves" (like all alternative PDF softwares I've tried), this would be the clear winner & I'd purchase. But I really can't use software that takes 5x as long every time I need to make a highlight or add a note & save...

Comment

Hi Metal450,

Sorry for the trouble. Would you please send us the file which can reproduce the issue for further test,if it is inconvenient to upload here, you may email the PDF document to support@foxitsoftware.com. Thank you in advance.

Comment

Working...
                              X