Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does sanitizing a pdf remove malware hidden in images?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does sanitizing a pdf remove malware hidden in images?

Does sanitizing a pdf remove malware hidden in images? For example, script code stored in EXIF data.

Hello there I have been doing some search regarding your question I found some answers relevant to it. Please check out the link below.

https://security.stackexchange.com/q...cious-pdf-file

This might be helpful to you.

Comment

palekale, The sanitize document function in Foxit PhantomPDF would remove the following information from document:
      Metadata
      Embedded content and attached files
      Scripts
      Hidden layers
      Embedded search indexes
      Stored form data
      Review and comment data
      Hidden data from previous document saves
      Obscured text and images
      Comments hidden with the body of the PDF file
      Unreferenced data
      Links,actions and javascripts
      Overlapping objects

So it could help to remove script codes in PDF file. For security considerations,we suggest you enable safe reading mode in Foxit PhantomPDF for controlling unauthorized actions(such as running Javacript functons) to efficiently avoid attacks from malicious documents. To enable safe reading mode in Foxit PhantomPDF,please go to "File" tab in Foxit PhantomPDF,click on "Preferences",check option "Enable Safe Reading Mode",click on "OK" button to save the setting.

Comment

Lisa_lee That list isn't clear to me whether it can remove malware in images or not. When it says it removes metadata, does that include metadata in images? Metadata from what or where? Hidden layers in what or where? I guess what I'm asking is what Sanitize can and can't do.

Comment

Working...
        X