Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create an index for a large PDF collection

Hello,

I'm using PhantomPDF 14 days trial version.

I have a folder with 61.000 PDF files already OCRized. Now I want to search text (one word each time) inside all these documents in the most effective way. The normal search feature is very slow, though, so I would like to create a PDF index. Searching the PDF index - instead of the PDF documents themselves - should speed up a lot my searches.

I've read online that Foxit PDF IFilter Desktop has been implemented into PhantomPDF. IFilter looks exactly what I need. The problem is that I am not able to find the indexing options...

Can anybody help me?

Thank you.

Northman57 ,Foxit PDF Ifilter for desktop has already been inbuilt into Foxit PhantomPDF itself. For the indexing options you mentioned,do you mean indexing options tools in windows system? If so,you could open it by selecting "Start" menu on your desktop>"Control Panel">"Indexing Options" to open the Indexing Options.
    For more details about how to make Foxit PDF Ifilter to work in windows,please refer to its user manual file"Foxit PDF IFilter for Desktop User Manual.pdf" which has already been attached here.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Lisa, especially for the manual. I am now able to quickly search for text into my OCR PDFs using the Windows search. It is a pity, though, that the snippets do not really show up among the results: the small portion of text with the word I have searched in is not visible. The normal PhantomPDF search is, in this light, much better - though much much much slower!

Please compare the images attached. In both case I've searched for "spill" (the language is Italian). 1 is from Windows search, 2 is from Foxit Reader (I've used the Reader search because for some reason the Phantom search is not working now - the search engine seems the same though).

I would love to get the same results as 2, but in a MUCH quicker way. Windows search took 1 second instead of 24h of the normal PhantomPDF/Reader search...
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Northman57; 03-18-2019, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Northman57 , I am sorry that when you search in windows explorer with Foxit PDF ifilter,it really can not show up among the results.
        According to your request,I have submitted the suggestion"Be able to show up among the results when search in windows explorer with Foxit PDF ifilter"as a new feature request for product marketing's reference with suggestion ID#FILTER-167.

For the situation" some reason the Phantom search is not working now",please help to give our latest version 9.4.1 of Foxit PhantomPDF a try if you are still using an old version. Following is link for downloading Foxit PhantomPDF v9.4.1:
        http://cdn09.foxitsoftware.com/produ..._enu_Setup.msi
        If the issue still persists in Foxit PhantomPDF,please help to send us some PDF file samples for us to take a closer testing on our part. If it is inconvenience to upload the files here, you may email it to [email protected] (Attn:Lisa). And indicate this thread link.,

Comment

Thanks Lisa for the answer. It is a pity that it is not possible to show up the snippets in Windows search as well. So, pace the super quick Foxit PDF ifilter, I am still stuck with the super slow Foxit PhantomPDF/Reader searching experience - which I run during nighttime. It is MUCH slower, but way more effective in the sense that it shows a preview of the results, allowing me to save time during daytime.

I hope they will hear you and implement this in some future feature of Foxit PDF ifilter. It would be an extremely useful feature when you search in Windows search inside many OCRized PDFs and you get a large number of results from them...

As for the rest, for some reason Phantom search started to work again, I have no issues anymore.

Comment

Northman57 ,We are glad to hear that Foxit PhantomPDF started to work again on your part. And there is really no way to show up the snippets in Windows search with Foxit PDF Ifilter. This request ""Be able to show up among the results when search in windows explorer with Foxit PDF ifilter" has already been forwarded to our Foxit PDF Ifilter's product marketing for their reference with suggestion ID#FILTER-167.

Comment

Thanks again Lisa. Worshipping suggestion ID#FILTER-167 !!!

Comment

Hello Lisa! Again on this. Do you happen to know if my suggestion ID#FILTER-167 ("showing up the snippets in Windows search with Foxit PDF Ifilter") has been implemented, one year later? I've downloaded again the PhantomPDF 14 days trial version to check it, and I am currently re-building the index data with Windows Desktop Search. It will take a while, though. I would in fact be very happy to pay a 1-time license for PhantomPDF, if my feature request is now part of the program. Thank you!

Comment

Northman57, Thanks for your getting back in touch with us. I am sorry that Foxit PDF Ifilter has already been discontinued,so our Dev team have stopped implementing any new features and capabilities for Foxit PDF ifilter.In addition,Foxit PDF ifilter which is inbuilt in Foxit PhantomPDF is completely free now,so you could continue using Foxit PDF ifilter function in Foxit PhantomPDF after it is downgraded to free express edition.
                  Any further questions or concerns,please contact us any time.

Comment

Working...
                  X