Crop & Merge - Alternate pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature Crop & Merge - Alternate pages

My latest attempt to move to PhantomPDF Business from my now 10 year old Adobe Acrobat version 9. Most of the testing going well but I don't see how to do a task I do often. Perhaps I am missing something.

I am often given a scan of a booklet. It's been scanned two pages at a time, so you start with something which looks like the attached (content intentionally blurred). Edit: apparently I can't add an attachment, but you probably get the idea.

I then crop the pages to create two files - odd pages and even pages - and then merge the files together, alternating the even and odd pages into a new one-page per sheet properly paginated pdf. Piece of cake in my 10 year of software. Done it with 300 page documents.

In Phantom, the cropping works well enough, although the thumbnail in the cropping dialog does not show the actual crop locations (the help screen says it does, but it doesn't). But I can't find any way to accomplish the alternate page merge in Phantom (no, doing it manually is not an acceptable work-around).

Am I missing something or is Phantom?

@reblok,

Thank you for choosing Foxit as your pdf solution. Sorry, now Foxit does not support the alternate page merge, but I have forwarded your request to our team, they will consider it in future version, report ID:Phantom-3062.

As for the case"although the thumbnail in the cropping dialog does not show the actual crop locations (the help screen says it does, but it doesn't).", what's the thumbnail you mean? Do you mean the preview panel on the left panel of the cropping dialog box as the attached screenshot? Would you please help to make a screenshot to show the issue?
    Attached Files

Comment

lyndi_wu

Yes, it's the preview panel.

"You are not authorized to remove or create attachments" is the message I receive when I try to add the screenshots. So here they are on Imgur.

https://imgur.com/a/kSV3MHi

The first is the original document. I used the crop tool to select the left page (Crop1). In the dialog, I fine-tuned it. If you look at the thumbnail, yo will see the crop mark includes some of the left and some of the right. Applying it, though, gives the correct result - the left page only.

On the alternating pages - actually, it was not an Acrobat 9 built-in function. Acrobat (at least the; I don't know about now) allowed java-scripting. The alternating page capability was a .js.

One other item I noticed: Doing an OCR of a document in Acrobat does a number of extra things. It rotates the pages a little so they are more vertical and it substantially reduces the file size. I did a side by side comparison. The Phantom document was 24 MB (after manually applying size reduction); the same document OCR'd in Acrobat 9 was under 10 MB.

Sorry to be getting a bit wandering in the comments. I really like Phantom but am running a side-by-side comparison to see what I am potentially getting and what I am potentially giving up.
      Last edited by reblok; 07-02-2019, 02:01 PM.

Comment

reblok Thanks for your reply.
        1. For crop page do not show actual crop area in preview panel, it will be fixed in next version 9.6 of Foxit which will be released in near future. please kindly note.
        2. For reduce file size when OCR, I have submitted this requirement by setting dpi ID#PHANTOM-5195, any updates will inform you.
        3. For deskew file when OCR, it is supported in Foxit. If the file did not deskew automatically when OCR in Foxit, can you please send the file to us for testing? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by amanda_liang View Post
          reblok Thanks for your reply.
          1. For crop page do not show actual crop area in preview panel, it will be fixed in next version 9.6 of Foxit which will be released in near future. please kindly note.
          2. For reduce file size when OCR, I have submitted this requirement by setting dpi ID#PHANTOM-5195, any updates will inform you.
          3. For deskew file when OCR, it is supported in Foxit. If the file did not deskew automatically when OCR in Foxit, can you please send the file to us for testing? thanks
          Thank you. Looks like it did deskew after all. I'll be looking forward to updates.

Comment

reblok ,We have released version 9.6 of Foxit PhantomPDF which has fixed the issue"crop page do not show actual crop area in preview panel,",please help to upgrade Foxit PhantomPDF to latest version to get around that issue at your convenience. Following is link for downloading Foxit PhantomPDF 9.6:
            http://cdn01.foxitsoftware.com/produ..._enu_Setup.msi

Comment

Bump. Still looking for a possible switch. I running trial of Business 10. Alternate paging merge available yet?

Comment

reblok ,I am sorry that the feature about alternating paging merge still hasn't been implemented yet. I have also added your request to the feature request "Organize: Merge PDF by interleaving pages" (report ID#PHANTOM-1880) that we have submitted before. We will keep you informed once this feature is realized in any future released versions.

Comment

Thank you Lisa.

Comment

Working...
                  X