Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The dilemma of local Hyperlinks (when migrating from Windows to Mac)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dilemma of local Hyperlinks (when migrating from Windows to Mac)

I've been always using Windows and now I'm thinking of jumping ship to Macintosh.
    I'm a medical student, I use my laptop for studying and data analysis. the one most important thing that makes me think twice before moving to Mac is that throughout the years I have made thousands and thousands of annotations in tens of books using Foxit PhantomPDF (Love you Foxit). these include hundreds of links to other books and images, all saved in my local drive (I know I'm a caveman for not using the cloud stuff).
    So, I'm kinda worried about two things right now:
    1) I use the custom keyboard shortcuts for annotation tools a lot (I mean A LOT). and I have just found that Foxit, for some weird reasons decided to preclude custom keyboard shortcuts in their Mac app. is there a way around to set keyboard shortcuts for Foxit annotation tools in mac? if not, is there a pdf editing app for Mac out there that can annotate as well as Foxit PhantomPDF can?
    2) Is there a way to edit all the local links within a pdf file en mass, so that they can work in Mac? or, all hope is lost and I am stuck with Windows until the end of my days.

PS:
    Someone mentioned that I can install windows 10 ARM in MacOS Bootcamp and use windows in Macintosh. Not a solution, I'm trying to escape windows purgatory.
    Last edited by kassra; 03-07-2021, 12:42 PM.

kassra ,Thanks for using Foxit Support. Regarding your questions,please see my inline comments:
    1) I use the custom keyboard shortcuts for annotation tools a lot (I mean A LOT). and I have just found that Foxit, for some weird reasons decided to preclude custom keyboard shortcuts in their Mac app. is there a way around to set keyboard shortcuts for Foxit annotation tools in mac? if not, is there a pdf editing app for Mac out there that can annotate as well as Foxit PhantomPDF can?
    A:I am sorry that Foxit Reader for MAC and Foxit PhantomPDF for MAC all don't have the custom keyboard shortcuts for tools this feature yet. Regarding this situation,we have already submitted the suggestion "Support to Customize key shortcuts in Foxit PhantomPDF/Reader for MAC like Foxit PhantomPDF/Reader for windows does" as a new feature request to our product management team's reference with suggestion ID#MACLNX-321,so that it may be considered in future versions.
    Except for the inability to customize shortcuts for tools,actually our Foxit PhantomPDF already own powerful of PDF editing and annotations,security and some other powerful features.
    We suggest you give it a try firstly which will give you 14 free trial days. Please download the latest version of Foxit PhantomPDF from our Foxit official download center below:
    https://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/
    To know more features and how to use those features,please refer to its user manual from the page below:
    https://help.foxitsoftware.com/manua...s/en-us/4.1.1/

2) Is there a way to edit all the local links within a pdf file en mass, so that they can work in Mac? or, all hope is lost and I am stuck with Windows until the end of my days.
    A:I am sorry that there is still not not a way to edit links within a PDF file in batch. Regarding this situation,I have submitted the suggestion "Support to select all links in one PDF file and edit their actions in batch" as a new feature request with suggestion ID#PHANTOM-15380.
    However,you should be able to edit all links in one page together.
    To edit links in one page in Foxit PhantomPDF for windows desktop,please do the following:
    Go to "Edit"tab>"Link",please switch to the destination page,press "Ctrl+A" on keyboard to make all of the link in existing page to be selected,then right click on one of the selected link and choose "Properties" option in the pop-up context menu to bring up the "Link Properties" little window,please select existing action under the "Actions" section,click on "Delete" to delete existing action from the links.After then,please select a new action that you from the "select action" drop-down list,click "Add..." to add the new action to all of those selected links in existing page.Please refer to attached screenshots:11.jpg 22.jpg.

If you need to edit links in one page in Foxit PhantomPDF for MAC,please do the following:
    Go to "Edit"menu>"Link",please switch to the destination page,please press "Command-A" on keyboard to make all of the link in existing page to be selected,then right click on one of the selected link and choose "Properties" option in the pop-up context menu to bring up the "Link Properties" little window,please select existing action under the "Actions" section,click on "Delete" to delete existing action from the links.After then,please select a new action that you from the "select action" drop-down list,click "Add..." to add the new action to all of those selected links in existing page.

Any further questions or concerns,please contact us any time.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa_lee View Post
      kassra ,Thanks for using Foxit Support. Regarding your questions,please see my inline comments:
      A:I am sorry that Foxit Reader for MAC and Foxit PhantomPDF for MAC all don't have the custom keyboard shortcuts for tools this feature yet. Regarding this situation,we have already submitted the suggestion "Support to Customize key shortcuts in Foxit PhantomPDF/Reader for MAC like Foxit PhantomPDF/Reader for windows does" as a new feature request to our product management team's reference with suggestion ID#MACLNX-321,so that it may be considered in future versions.
      Except for the inability to customize shortcuts for tools,actually our Foxit PhantomPDF already own powerful of PDF editing and annotations,security and some other powerful features.
      We suggest you give it a try firstly which will give you 14 free trial days. Please download the latest version of Foxit PhantomPDF from our Foxit official download center below:
      To know more features and how to use those features,please refer to its user manual from the page below:

A:I am sorry that there is still not not a way to edit links within a PDF file in batch. Regarding this situation,I have submitted the suggestion "Support to select all links in one PDF file and edit their actions in batch" as a new feature request with suggestion ID#PHANTOM-15380.
      To edit links in one page in Foxit PhantomPDF for windows desktop,please do the following:
      Go to "Edit"tab>"Link",please switch to the destination page,press "Ctrl+A" on keyboard to make all of the link in existing page to be selected,then right click on one of the selected link and choose "Properties" option in the pop-up context menu to bring up the "Link Properties" little window,please select existing action under the "Actions" section,click on "Delete" to delete existing action from the links.After then,please select a new action that you from the "select action" drop-down list,click "Add..." to add the new action to all of those selected links in existing page.Please refer to attached screenshots:11.jpg 22.jpg.

If you need to edit links in one page in Foxit PhantomPDF for MAC,please do the following:
      Go to "Edit"menu>"Link",please switch to the destination page,please press "Command-A" on keyboard to make all of the link in existing page to be selected,then right click on one of the selected link and choose "Properties" option in the pop-up context menu to bring up the "Link Properties" little window,please select existing action under the "Actions" section,click on "Delete" to delete existing action from the links.After then,please select a new action that you from the "select action" drop-down list,click "Add..." to add the new action to all of those selected links in existing page.

Thanks for the response

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa_lee View Post

The links are all relative so I guess that the only problem would be the fact that windows uses "" to separate folders and mac uses "/"
        for example the relative link is like this in windows:
        ..\..\med\cardiology\image.jpg

I have just found out that although foxit for mac cannot open relative links made in foxit windows, adobe acrobat can. I assume adobe acrobat simply translates all "" to "/"
        it would be nice if foxit for mac could do the same.
        Last edited by kassra; 03-12-2021, 01:29 PM.

Comment

kassra ,Thanks for your response.I have tried to add a link for opening another PDF file with our latest version of Foxit PhantomPDF for windows desktop V10.1.1.
          The link is like the following:
          File:Test\test\test\FoxitReader10.1.1_Manual.pdf
          I also tried to add a link for opening PDF file with Foxit PhantomPDF for MAC 4.1.3,the link format is the same to the one that I added in Foxit PhantomPDF for windows desktop.
          Those links could work in both of Foxit PhantomPDF for windows desktop V10.1.1 and Foxit PhantomPDF for MAC 4.1.3.
          So I really cannot replicate such issue you mentioned on our part. Did you use old version of Foxit Software? Please give us the version numbers of your Foxit software on windows and MAC.
          And please also help to use the licecap tool to generate an animated gif that shows your whole process for creating links in your Foxit PhantomPDF for windows desktop:
          http://sync-us.foxitsoftware.com/iss/Tools/LICEcap.zip
          (Unzip it, then double-click on licecap file, you can then specify the recording area then hit "Record", it requires naming the file first then start recording.)

Look forward to your reply.

Comment

Working...
          X