browser plugin incompatible with 64-bit releases of Firefox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• browser plugin incompatible with 64-bit releases of Firefox

The title says it all, more or less: current version of Foxit Reader browser plugin doesn't work with 64-bit releases of Firefox.

Latest version of Foxit Reader browser plugin was working fine with 32-bit release of Firefox 43.0.3. Upgraded to 64-bit release of Firefox 43.0.3. Can no longer read PDFs in Firefox and Foxit Reader browser plugin no longer appears in Firefox list of installed add-on/plugins.

FWIW, Adobe Reader DC appears to have the SAME problem as Foxit Reader, namely the Adobe Reader DC browser plugin ALSO appears to be incompatible with 64bit releases of FIrefox and no longer appears in Firefox list of installed add-on/plugins after a working 32bit release of Firefox is replaced by a 64bit release.

Looks like I'm just going to have to wait for the third-party SW vendors to catch up with Mozilla's fast-release strategy before I can migrate all my Win7 PCs to 64bit Firefox. Or force everyone to read online PDFs in an app running external to their browser. Sigh...

Comment

After some additional research, I discovered that this is a well-known problem. Apparently, Mozilla has decided that the 64bit version of Firefox for Windows will no longer support *any* NPAPI plugins *except* Flash. Just like Chrome.

Except that, unlike Chrome, Mozilla decided *not* to publicize that information very widely. At least not in places where mere mortals are likely to look.

See Bug ID #1187005 for all the gory details:
      https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1187005

Bottom line: You *must* stick with the 32bit version of Firefox on Windows *if* you want to continue in-browser reading of PDFs using Foxit. (Or Adobe Acrobat Reader, for that matter.)

Hopefully my postings here might save someone else at least some of the hassle I had to go through to sort this out.

Comment

Working...
      X