PDF print option to append or prepend to an existing file

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDF print option to append or prepend to an existing file

Even though Foxit Reader is by far my favorite, I still find myself needing to install other products to do the above, namely, add a print job to an existing file. Nitro Reader for example allows adding a print job to the beginning or the end of a file if an existing one is selected. This is extremely useful, I cannot imagine anyone not squealing in delight with this feature in hand. Are you going to ever add it to Foxit Reader? I'd love to get rid of all my other PDF tools and just enjoy Foxit all the time. Please do consider.

knoor56

The mentioned "append or prepend to an existing file" is actually included in Foxit PhantomPDF software. In Foxit PhantomPDF program, we could open one PDF file, then go to "Organize"->"Insert"->"From File" then choose where in the existing file to insert. Foxit PhantomPDF is free to try out for 14 days, you may download it from Foxit website and give it a try at your convenience:
    https://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/

Comment

Disagree- the mentioned feature on other programs is available without having to save an extra pdf to insert/append. For instance if I print a Sales tax return and save the file, when I get to the confirmation page and go to the print dialog I choose “append to existing pdf,” choose the file I just printed, and it adds the confirmation to the file. I don’t have to creat a second file and then insert or merge the files, then delete the file I don’t need. Take that time 1000 clients and countless other situations and it’s a huge time saver. We purchased the full version of phantompdf for our whole company over a year ago and this is the one feature that is still brought up that is missing. I finally told them to download a free printer from another vendor to accomplish it.

Originally posted by cherry View Post
      knoor56

The mentioned "append or prepend to an existing file" is actually included in Foxit PhantomPDF software. In Foxit PhantomPDF program, we could open one PDF file, then go to "Organize"->"Insert"->"From File" then choose where in the existing file to insert. Foxit PhantomPDF is free to try out for 14 days, you may download it from Foxit website and give it a try at your convenience:
      https://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/

Comment

Lucasvdw ,Thanks for describing your needs in details. According to your request,I have submitted the suggestion "Support to append PDF Document when Printing like Nitro does" as new feature request to our internal feature system for our product marketing's reference with suggestion ID#PHANTOM-3196. Any further questions or concerns,please contact us any time.

Comment

This x 100! Lucasvdw has it right, Nitro makes it super easy to append. When printing to the PDF driver, in the print dialog you just select the existing PDF file to which you want to append and the dialog gives you the option of appending or overwriting on the fly - with options where to put the appended page(s) within the new document. PhantomPDF's append seems to be built on the Print Job option - but it's an option that's selected in the Preferences, so it's either always on or always off. So if it's turned on, Print Job is invoked by default even if I only want to print a single page, adding unnecessary steps to that task. And if it's turned off, as Lucasvdw say, you have to print two (or more) individual files, then merge or insert them. Again, unnecessary steps.

Comment

Yoofer

I've updated your comments as suggestion to Suggestion ID#PHANTOM-3196 for PM team's processing reference as well. Thank you.

Comment

And update on this?
              This is the only feature that's hanging me onto Nitro, else I can completely move over to Foxit.

Comment

jasonhpchu

Sorry, now Foxit does not have the feature "append PDF Document when Printing like Nitro does" yet, I have reminded our team to add the feature as soon as possible.

In addition, would you please go to "Preferences>Create PDF" and check the "Insert Printed PDF into the previous generated one, except those created by PhantomPDF", try the feature to confirm whether this feature helps?

Comment

Originally posted by lyndi_wu View Post
                  jasonhpchu

Sorry, now Foxit does not have the feature "append PDF Document when Printing like Nitro does" yet, I have reminded our team to add the feature as soon as possible.

In addition, would you please go to "Preferences>Create PDF" and check the "Insert Printed PDF into the previous generated one, except those created by PhantomPDF", try the feature to confirm whether this feature helps?

Sorry, not sure how this helps. The "except those created by PhantomPDF" clause kinda blows it up, no? For instance, if I generate a customer quote in my accounting software (printing it to PDF via PhantomPDF), then want to add a Terms and Conditions page by printing to PhantomPDF from MS Word, how is that supposed to work? What am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by lyndi_wu View Post
                    jasonhpchu

Sorry, not sure how this helps. The "except those created by PhantomPDF" clause kinda blows it up, no? For instance, if I generate a customer quote in my accounting software (printing it to PDF via PhantomPDF), then want to append a Terms and Conditions page by printing to PhantomPDF from MS Word, how is that supposed to work? What am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by Yoofer View Post

Sorry, not sure how this helps. The "except those created by PhantomPDF" clause kinda blows it up, no? For instance, if I generate a customer quote in my accounting software (printing it to PDF via PhantomPDF), then want to append a Terms and Conditions page by printing to PhantomPDF from MS Word, how is that supposed to work? What am I missing?
                      In fact I just now tried to do that very thing. The Terms and Conditions document popped up in PhantomPDF as a new tab with the "Print Job" window open on the left, no other documents listed in the Print Job window and no discernible way to accomplish what I'm trying to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoofer View Post

Yoofer ,
                        I am sorry that the This sentence below doesn't express its function very clearly:
                        Insert printed PDFs into previously generated documents,except those created by Foxit PhantomPDF
                        In fact,the function is for inserted printed PDF files which were generated with Foxit PhantomPDF printer into previously generated documents.
                        For example,I printed the first document with Foxit PhantomPDF Printer into a PDF file,then I continue to print other non-PDF format files with Foxit PhantomPDF Printers,all of the newly printed files will be appended into the first generated PDF file.

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa_lee View Post

Yoofer ,
                          I am sorry that the This sentence below doesn't express its function very clearly:
                          Insert printed PDFs into previously generated documents,except those created by Foxit PhantomPDF
                          In fact,the function is for inserted printed PDF files which were generated with Foxit PhantomPDF printer into previously generated documents.
                          For example,I printed the first document with Foxit PhantomPDF Printer into a PDF file,then I continue to print other non-PDF format files with Foxit PhantomPDF Printers,all of the newly printed files will be appended into the first generated PDF file.
                          Hmmm... Okay, this *sorta* works. If I print a quote from my accounting software with the "Insert printed PDFs" option selected, it doesn't call the normal Windows file save dialog, it generates a PDF in a new tab, with the file listed in the Print Job window. Then if I print the T&C page from MS Word (with the quote still open and unsaved in PhantomPDF), it does indeed append it to the first document with both files now listed in the Print Job window. Then if I click the "Save" button I get the Windows file save dialog and I can name the file and save to the destination of my choosing. It's okay, but not as flexible as the way Nitro does it. Once you save the document, there doesn't seem to be any way to further append to the saved file besides the "Insert" menu command. Once the appended file has been saved, printing another document via the PhantomPDF printer now generates a *new* document. So you basically have to do all your appends from whatever source(s) in one go. Unless there is a way to invoke the Print Job pane in a previously saved PDF? I looked but couldn't find this, seems like the Print Job pane only appears when you print to PDF from an external application while the "Insert printed PDF's" option is checked in Preferences. But maybe I missed it?
                          Last edited by Yoofer; 08-02-2019, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Yoofer ,You are right,Foxit PhantomPDF still doesn't support to append PDF document when printing to existing PDF file like Nitro does. We have already submitted the suggestion "Support to append PDF Document when Printing like Nitro does" as new feature request to our internal feature system for our product marketing's reference with suggestion ID#PHANTOM-3196. Any further questions or concerns,please contact us any time.

Comment

Working...
                            X