Update broke Foxit reader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update broke Foxit reader

I've been very happy with free Foxit Reader, and recommended it to may others. It's always been fine for me, and I value the facility to add highlights, comments, and take snapshots. Great!
    I use the portable edition on a USB drive permanently plugged in, because I like the idea of keeping the Windows intallation as "clean" as possible, together with being able to try the odd utility from time to time with no uninstallation problems. Again, been fine for quite some time.
    This week, Foxit Reader suggested updating. I declined the prompt in case it would do a full OS install, but went back to the Portable Apps main screen where the update was offered, and did it from there. I now have 9.3.0.10826.
    Problem: Although the Foxit Reader app would open normally, and any pdf could be opened from within the programme, clicking on pdf files in explorer or on desktop shortcuts produced the message that I needed to reinstall FR because I was missing localService.dll. Reinstalled a couple of times, but nothing changed. Checked W7 file associations, - all OK. Tried changing file association to another pdf reader (portable app), everything back to normal, but not as good as Foxit.
    File associations returned to Foxit, and I'm back to dll error message.
    Did a system file check which advised me that "Scannow windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".
    Could some kind person tell me what I am missing, please, (apart from a dll !) I'm slightly IT savvy, but not overly so, and don't want to dabble with the registry.

oldsamsquirrel ,Sorry for the problem you encountered with Foxit Reader. Could you please kindly perform a fresh re-installation as following and try again?
    1) Please make sure you've closed all Foxit Reader related programs (IE, Firefox...) then go to "Control Panel"->"Add/Remove Programs" to uninstall Foxit Reader;
    Go to "Start"->"Run"-> input regedit -> find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Foxit Software\ Foxit Reader 9.0" and "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Foxit Software\ Foxit Reader 8.0" to delete the whole folder of Foxit Reader 9.0;
    2) Download a newest version of Foxit Reader 9.3 from the link below´╝Ü
    You may download a new setup file from this link: http://cdn09.foxitsoftware.com/produ...etup_Clean.exe
    and install it.
    Finally,please try to give the new installation a try. If the issue still persists,please help to send us a screenshot of the error message you received when you click on PDF files and give us the installation path of your Foxit Reader?Did you install it on the USB drive?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Foxit error message.JPG
Views:	1065
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	169677 Many thanks, Lisa_lee for your advice and fast response. However, I'm wondering whether your comments apply to the PORTABLE installation which is what I'm having trouble with. In that situation, Foxit correctly does not appear in the add/remove programmes, this process being performed through the PortableApps.com application and platform.
      In fact, I'm wondering whether the update provided there could (inadvertently) be for the DESKTOP version of your product, and this might be the reason for my problem. Nevertheless I assume that it would have originated from your own developers.
      As I mentioned in my original post, I prefer to use portable apps kept on my permanently attached USB drive when possible for the very reason that I want to avoid having to make manual changes to the registry when uninstalling software, since I am not confident about doing so. As requested, I now include a screenshot of the error message when trying to open the portable version directly from a pdf file, although as stated, Foxit Reader functions OK if opened first. Other (portable) readers will start their programme directly from the pdf document, as was previously the case with Foxit Reader until the 9.3 update was applied. It is this behaviour that makes me unsure that the update was intended for the portable version. I really don't want to install the desktop version at this point in case the problem persists and I am then driven to having to mess with the registry.

Comment

oldsamsquirrel ,Thanks for your detailed explanation on the portable version of Foxit Reader you used. It must be mentioned that Foxit didn't release any portable version of Foxit Reader since V5.The portable version you mentioned is not our official released version,so we can not know about why the error message indicated when you tried to open the portable version of Foxit Reader.Thanks for your kind understanding.
        To use our official released version of Foxit Reader,you could always download it from our official download center below:
        https://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/

Comment

Hi, I posted the solution here:
          https://portableapps.com/node/60146

You are missing the LocateService.dll (the portableapps.com install is incomplete). I extracted the dll from the Enterprise version of the MSI.

Originally posted by oldsamsquirrel View Post
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Foxit error message.JPG
Views:	1065
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	169677 Many thanks, Lisa_lee for your advice and fast response. However, I'm wondering whether your comments apply to the PORTABLE installation which is what I'm having trouble with. In that situation, Foxit correctly does not appear in the add/remove programmes, this process being performed through the PortableApps.com application and platform.
          In fact, I'm wondering whether the update provided there could (inadvertently) be for the DESKTOP version of your product, and this might be the reason for my problem. Nevertheless I assume that it would have originated from your own developers.
          As I mentioned in my original post, I prefer to use portable apps kept on my permanently attached USB drive when possible for the very reason that I want to avoid having to make manual changes to the registry when uninstalling software, since I am not confident about doing so. As requested, I now include a screenshot of the error message when trying to open the portable version directly from a pdf file, although as stated, Foxit Reader functions OK if opened first. Other (portable) readers will start their programme directly from the pdf document, as was previously the case with Foxit Reader until the 9.3 update was applied. It is this behaviour that makes me unsure that the update was intended for the portable version. I really don't want to install the desktop version at this point in case the problem persists and I am then driven to having to mess with the registry.

Comment

Hi, I posted the solution here:
            https://portableapps.com/node/60146

You are missing the LocateService.dll (the portableapps.com install is incomplete). I extracted the dll from the Enterprise version of the MSI.

Originally posted by oldsamsquirrel View Post
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Foxit error message.JPG Views:	1 Size:	28.6 KB ID:	169677 Many thanks, Lisa_lee for your advice and fast response. However, I'm wondering whether your comments apply to the PORTABLE installation which is what I'm having trouble with. In that situation, Foxit correctly does not appear in the add/remove programmes, this process being performed through the PortableApps.com application and platform.

Comment

Working...
            X