Change to default tool

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback Change to default tool

I notice that since I've installed version 9.4 that whenever I open a PDF file in an already-open instance of Foxit Reader that it sets the current tool for the newly-opened document to the Hand tool. 9.3 left the current tool as the one I'd already selected and the default only reverted to the Hand tool once I'd closed Foxit Reader and then reopened it.

Unless I have missed the ability to save, somewhere in Preferences, which tool I'd prefer to be the default, I can quite truthfully state that version 9.4 is unusable as far as I'm concerned. I've already reverted to 9.3 and am looking at other alternatives.

Thank you for reporting it, but I fail to reproduce it on our side, would you mind using the LiceCap tool to generate an animated gif that shows how to reproduce the problem for our referencing? Thank you.
    Here's the download link:
    http://sync-cn.foxitsoftware.com/iss/Tools/LICEcap.zip
    (Unzip it, double-click on licecap file, you can then specify the recording area then hit "Record", it requires naming the file first then start recording.)

Comment

Will do. One thing I have realised, with experimenting: in version 9.4 the current tool appears to now be set on a per-tab basis. So if I open a document, change the tool (e.g. to the Marquee Tool), then open another document, the newly-opened document will have the Hand Tool as default as it always does. But if I go back to the original document's tab, the current tool reverts to, in this example, the Marquee Tool. And if I switch from tab-to-tab, the selected tool changes as appropriate to whatever was previously selected in that specific tab.

In itself, that's a fine improvement, and if only it took the most recently selected tool as the initial selection when a new document was opened, it would be superb. But currently, it's just annoying.

Comment

I'm using version: 9.4.0.16811 of Foxit Reader.

For speed, in this example, I've just double-clicked on PDF files in Windows Explorer rather than slow things up by using File -> Open but the same thing happens whether the file is opened by double-clicking in Explorer, by dragging from Explorer, by picking files from Foxit Reader's "Recent Files" list, or by opening files the "File Open" dialog box.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Simon C; 01-28-2019, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Simon C ,Thanks for your detailed explanation with the animated gif file provided.This issue "Foxit Reader V9.4 sets the current tool for the newly-opened document to the Hand tool" also could be replicated on my computer and it has been submitted to our internal bug tracking system for our QA team to do further investigation with report ID#QCPHANTOM-15014.I will keep you informed for any updates about it or you may also write to support@foxitsoftware.com with this report ID#QCPHANTOM-15014 to track its processing status.

Comment

Simon C

We are writing to inform you that the situation you mentioned is not bug in our existing V9.4 of Foxit Reader,it is something related to selected tool's new working mechanism in V9.4.
            For more details,you may refer to the following:

Which tool will be selected by default when open a new PDF file in Foxit PhantomPDF/Foxit Reader?
            For version 9.4 and above
            Since V9.4,we have add a new option 'Always display the keyboard selection cursor' under Accessibility tab in Preferences dialog box (Go to 'File'>'Preferences' to open 'Preferences' window).
            If you have this option 'Always display the keyboard selection cursor’ selected, then the 'Select Text and Image' tool will be selected selected automatically when you open a PDF file in Foxit PhantomPDF/Foxit Reader.
            If you don't have this option 'Always display the keyboard selection cursor' selected,then 'Hand' tool will always be selected as default when you open a PDF file.
            Following is the explanation why the last selected tool in Foxit PhantomPDF/Foxit Reader application can not be remembered in newly opened DPF file:
            Since V9.4,we have implemented a new feature“Support to tear a a tab as a new window and manage the tabs” in Foxit PhantomPDF/Foxit Reader.For this new feature,our Dev team has adjusted the last selected tool working mechanism.The last selected tool working mechanism has been changed from "For program level" to 'For file level". In V9.4 and greater versions, the tool that you have selected in Foxit PhantomPDF/Foxit Reader is effective only in the current document,it won't be performed for other documents. So when you open a new PDF file in Foxit PhantomPDF,the default tool in the newly opened tab should be Hand tool by default if you don't have the 'Always display the keyboard selection cursor' selected.

For Version 9.2 and Version 9.3:
            If you open a PDF form file (AcroForm &XFA Forms), 'Hand' tool will always be selected as default.
            If you open non-form PDF file,the last selected tool in Foxit PhantomPDF/Foxit Reader application will be selected by default for newly opened PDF file.

For versions prior to V9.2:
            The last selected tool in Foxit PhantomPDF/Foxit Reader application will be selected by default for newly opened PDF file.

Comment

Working...
            X