Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foxit Reader PDF Printer problems

Hi,

I have recently installed the latest version of Foxit Reader 9.7 and am having problems with the Foxit Reader PDF Printer:

1. When I am printing any file to the Foxit Reader PDF Printer, if I change any of the settings for the Foxit Reader PDF Printer (for example the zoom, quality, etc.) then these settings are always remembered the next time I try to print with Foxit Reader PDF Printer. This happens when the "Save as default" checkbox in Foxit Reader PDF Printer is unchecked (and of course when checked). It seems that the "Save as default" checkbox does nothing, and that the default action is to always save the last used settings as default.

2. If I use the Foxit Windows context menu option to convert a .txt file (text file) to PDF then I always get an error dialog that the document can't be printed at this time and to try again later. All other file types (Word, Powerpoint, etc.) convert just fine with no errors. Note, that I am able to print .txt files (text files) with Foxit Reader PDF Printer with no problems.

Thanks for any help!
    KnightAzul

There is no special version of the Foxit Reader on Windows 10.

Have you downloaded and read a part of the.pdf Forms Help File, which begins on page 185 of that document?

F1 takes you to the list where the download reader is located.

Comment

I really don't follow your answer and how it relates to the problems I am having with the Foxit Reader PDF printer.

KnightAzul

Comment

KnightAzul ,Thanks for your response.For why the save as default option is PDF printer dialog box doesn't stay checked,please refer to the article below:
        https://help.foxitsoftware.com/kb/wh...ay-checked.php

For the issue you you mentioned in No. 2,please help to delete your Foxit Reader registry keys by doing as follows to see if it helps:
        Go to "Start"->"Run"-> input regedit -> find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Foxit Software\ Foxit Reader 9.0" and "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Foxit Software\ Foxit Reader 9.0" to delete the whole folder of Foxit Reader 9.0.
        If the issue still persists,please send us the following information for further analysis:
        1:Your OS information(E.g.windows10x64bit).
        2:Which application is the default one for opening .txt file on your computer.
        3:Please send us one .text file that to be converted and take a screenshot of the error message for us.

If it is inconvenience to upload the files here, you may email it to [email protected] (Attn:Lisa). And indicate this thread link. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks for the information Lisa_lee.

For issue #1, I don't think you have understood the issue. The FoxitPrinterProfile.xml is always written to every time I print, independent of whether the "Save as default" checkbox is ticked or not. This means I always get the same settings as the last time I printed, which is not what should be happening.

For issue #2 I'll give your fix a try!

Thanks,
          KnightAzul

Comment

KnightAzul

For issue#1: Could you please let us know what exact changes you've done to the settings so we could give it a test per your instructions?
            For issue#2: If clearing the registry doesn't help, please provide the info that Lisa requested so we could take a closer look at the problem. Also, please let us know if it happens when you try to right click to convert any .txt file to PDF or just specific one. Is the .txt file located in a network drive or a local drive? Thank you.

Comment

Hi,

For issue #1:

After installation of Foxit Reader 9.7, in the folder "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Foxit Software\Foxit PDF Creator\Foxit Reader PDF Printer" there is a file "FoxitPrinterProfile.xml" which starts off as an empty file.

I then print with the Foxit Reader PDF Printer, but never check the "Save as default" box. Every time I print, a new file with a name like: "1578503054_4932__foxittemp.xml" is created in the same folder "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Foxit Software\Foxit PDF Creator\Foxit Reader PDF Printer". Opening the "1578503054_4932__foxittemp.xml" file shows the printer changes that I have made (remember, without having checked the "Save as default" box). For example:
              • Default settings: Standard -> High quality
              • Image scaling: 100% -> 80%
              When I next go to print, the printer settings are still High quality and 80%! The file "FoxitPrinterProfile.xml" remains empty.

So I figured that I perhaps I need to actually set the defaults by checking the "Save as default" box, to populate "FoxitPrinterProfile.xml" the first time, and actually have defaults. So I set:
              • Default settings: High quality -> Standard
              • Image scaling: 80% -> 100%
              And save as default. The "FoxitPrinterProfile.xml" file now shows these changes. Good.

I then print again setting changing the settings:
              • Default settings: Standard -> High quality
              • Image scaling: 100% -> 80%
              and but do not check the "Save as default" box. The "FoxitPrinterProfile.xml" seems to still have the Standard, 100% defaults. And a file "1578503053_10724__foxittemp.xml" is created with High quality, 80%. The next document I try and print uses High quality, 80% again! Why????

Thanks for any help! Hopefully I've explained things
              KnightAzul

Comment

Hi,

For issue #2:

Clearing the registry did not help.
                Here is the requested information:
                1:Your OS information: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1803
                2:Which application is the default one for opening .txt file on your computer: Notepad++
                3:Please send us one .text file that to be converted and take a screenshot of the error message for us: Sent in an email. The text file is nothing special, it just has the word "Test" in it. The error message is always produced at 10% of the conversion.

It happens when I right click to convert any .txt file. The .txt files are located on a local drive (the desktop).

Thanks,
                KnightAzul

Comment

KnightAzul

For issue#2:

I downloaded the Notepad++ version 7.8.2, then right-click on a .txt document to Convert to PDF in Foxit Reader, I cannot convert fine on my side, but with a different error "An unexpected error occurred while printing the file." I've reported the problem to Foxit internal bug tracking system for processing. Report ID#: QCPHANTOM-23148.
                  One more thing: I would like to check the version number of your Notepad++, could you please help check? Also, please make a screenshot of the error you got. Thank you.

Comment

KnightAzul

For issue#1: We'll further check on this and get back to you soon.

Comment

Hi,

Notepad++ version 7.3.3 (32-bit). The screenshot I sent to Lisa Lee yesterday. Always the same message at 10%: "An unexpected error occurred during printing. Please try again".

Thanks,
                      KnightAzul

Comment

Originally posted by KnightAzul View Post
                        Hi,

Notepad++ version 7.3.3 (32-bit). The screenshot I sent to Lisa Lee yesterday. Always the same message at 10%: "An unexpected error occurred during printing. Please try again".

Thanks,
                        KnightAzul

Thank you for the info. Our team are able to reproduce it and have forwarded to developer team for further investigation, any update, we will keep you informed.

Comment

Originally posted by cherry View Post
                          KnightAzul

Any news on Issue #1 and the printer defaults?
                          Thanks,
                          KnightAzul

Comment

Originally posted by cherry View Post
                            KnightAzul

Hi,

Actually Issue #1 is worse than I first thought.

It seemed like Foxit Reader PDF Printer alway used by default the last settings which were used when printing with it, and not the defaults which were saved with the "Save as default" checkbox. However, with further testing it looks like the Image scaling setting is being changed automatically without any user input! And then that new Image scaling setting is used for all printing from that point on. For example, I had the Image scaling option at 100% and had printed a number of Word documents with no issues at 100%, I then open an Excel and printed it and now the Image scaling option has changed by itself to 93%, and 93% is used from that point on! This is a showstopper

Also, it is normal that I get a file "XXXXXXXX_XXXX__foxittemp.xml" in the folder "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Foxit Software\Foxit PDF Creator\Foxit Reader PDF Printer" for every print job with the Foxit Reader PDF Printer? Is the directory ever cleaned out automatically by Foxit Reader?

Thanks,
                            KnightAzul

Comment

KnightAzul

I've checked with our engineer that:
                              When converting non-PDF document to PDF document:
                              1) If the setting and the ongoing printing is from within the same document, Foxit software would use the current setting you've set (High quality+80%) until the document been closed;
                              2) But if the ongoing printing is from within another document or you close then reopen the same document again, the software will use the default printing setting (Standard+100%) you've set to print.

Hope info above helps. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X