No announcement yet.

Foxit PDF printer gone after Foxit Reader upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bobjbkln ,I have also added your feedback to report ID#PHANTOM-14556 for our Product Management Team's further processing.

Comment

amanda_liang , cherry , Lisa_lee I have been a Foxit user for last 4-5 years or perhaps earlier. One of the features which I liked about Foxit was its plugin to print PDFs and I miss it dearly in the recent version. So much so that I created an account to complain about here in this forum. To me, PDFs created with Foxit print plugin are better than those created using Microsoft 'saveas PDF' because the former are smaller in size and the quality is indistinguishable most of the times. I sincerely hope Foxit brings this feature asap.

Comment

Originally posted by nkb View Post
        amanda_liang , cherry , Lisa_lee I have been a Foxit user for last 4-5 years or perhaps earlier. One of the features which I liked about Foxit was its plugin to print PDFs and I miss it dearly in the recent version. So much so that I created an account to complain about here in this forum. To me, PDFs created with Foxit print plugin are better than those created using Microsoft 'saveas PDF' because the former are smaller in size and the quality is indistinguishable most of the times. I sincerely hope Foxit brings this feature asap.
        I suspect this function change(PDF printer removal) has more to do with current financial challenge brought in by this COVID-19 pandemic to Foxit software company. The feature-rich Foxit Reader with PDF printing/PDF scanning/PDF creation plugins for MS office don't fare well in terms of paid customer conversion(from free user to paid Foxit Phantom customer) to generate enough income for the continued development of the FREE version Foxit Reader, so they just removed these functionalities to expedite paid customer conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by wind_wu View Post

I suspect this function change(PDF printer removal) has more to do with current financial challenge brought in by this COVID-19 pandemic to Foxit software company. The feature-rich Foxit Reader with PDF printing/PDF scanning/PDF creation plugins for MS office don't fare well in terms of paid customer conversion(from free user to paid Foxit Phantom customer) to generate enough income for the continued development of the FREE version Foxit Reader, so they just removed these functionalities to expedite paid customer conversion.

I haven't done any market analysis to know how many customers of freewares migrate to paid versions when the freeware is stripped off its attractive features. You might be right that this decision was driven by economics.

Comment

Hi all,

We highly apologize for any hassle and inconvenience this may cause for you.
            Foxit creator component has been removed in Foxit Reader 10 since our product marketing team redefined the purposes of Foxit Reader,it is mainly used to view PDF files,so the creating PDFs feature was deleted,the Foxit Reader 10 release no longer supports the create PDF feature, which includes Foxit Reader PDF Printer, Foxit Creator add-ins for Office, scan to PDF feature.
            If this capability is required for your workflows, may I advise you to try one of the below options?
            1. You can uninstall Foxit Reader V10 and install back Foxit Reader V9.7.2 which is the last version with Foxit
            creator feature contained. Following is link for downloading Foxit Reader V9.7.2:
            http://cdn01.foxitsoftware.com/produ...L10N_Setup.exe
            2. You can try out Foxit PhantomPDF which has Foxit PhantomPDF printer, it can be downloaded for a free 14 day trail from the Foxit Download Center -https://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/.
            With PhantomPDF, you will get more features, like PDF editor, protection and so on, more details, you can refer to https://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf-editor/.
            Sorry again, and thank you for choosing Foxit.

Comment

If you have Windows 10 and have upgraded to Foxit Reader Version 10.0.0.35798 where Foxit Reader Print to PDF is no longer available, you can still print to PDF by installing "Microsoft Print to PDF" in Control Panel, Programs and Features. It is not as convenient as the previous Foxit method, as you will have to copy the file name you are converting and paste it in the File Name field, but the new PDF file can then be opened in any PDF reader including Foxit Reader.

Comment

There are many places where loss of PDF printing can be noted, where it will not likely be noticed. Such a major loss of functionality deserves a notification that will not be missed. To me, this seems blindingly obvious.

Comment

JustaFoxitUser

I've forwarded your feedback to Report ID#PHANTOM-14556 for further processing. For now, you may refer to lyndi_wu 's suggestion to go back to Reader Version 9.7.2 or install Foxit PhantomPDF 10.0. Thank you.

Comment

@Foxit : thanks for nothing and bye bye

Comment

okon ,Sorry you have a bad experience with v10 of Foxit Reader.I can understand your feeling but our product marketing have redefined the purposes of Foxit Reader,it is mainly used to view and handle existing PDF files,so the creating PDFs feature was deleted.
                      Anyway,I have also submitted your feedback to our Report ID#PHANTOM-14556 for further processing.

Comment

As another user above here, I can say that I created this account only to follow this matter. On the same time, I can say that I'm one of the earliest users you've had. Indeed, I try always to find and use freeware and/or open source programes (see OpenOffice.org) but, on the same time, I try to give back to community by involving myself in different projects, mostly in localisation (translations). It is NOT about the money but about principles ... too long to debate it here.

The new version of freeware Foxit with no creator is not good at all for me. I uninstalled that and I'll no longer try to reinstall that. First, "product marketing have redefined the purposes of Foxit Reader,it is mainly used to view and handle existing PDF files,so the creating PDFs feature was deleted." it is not an explanation but a conclusion, conclusion which we all already felt that. The notice you added,:
                        "Issues Addressed in Foxit Reader 10.0.0.35798
                        • Fixed some stability issues.
                        • PDF creation is not available in Foxit Reader 10.0
                        "

It is a kind of footnote, as when you go at bank and they tell you the service is free and, somewhere there on the page 1010101, in a half-than-normal-font noteyou find BUT when you use is you pay "whatever". I think that, if during the printing process you would send a notice "Please, we need your support! Please donate!" you could get more money than try to move the users to paid versions.

On the other hand, it has more changes but not in a good direction for me, the humble user: I just found that one of my favourite feature dissapeared, too: "Create stamp" with jpg, png, etc. At the V10, it is possible only with pdf files.

After so long time of using this for free, I really wish you every expected success! Unfortunatelly, that will be without me ...

Comment

sambadi The german translation for "Issues Addressed in Foxit Reader..." is even more misleading:
                          "Behobene Fehler in Foxit Reader 10.0.0.35798" can be translated to "Fixed bugs in Foxit Reader ..." 🙁
                          But PDF printing is not a bug, it's a feature!

Comment

https://cdn01.foxitsoftware.com/prod...Creator970.msi
                            Install this PDF printer.

Comment

Originally posted by wind_wu View Post
                              Yes, this is the Foxit PDF printer for version 9.7. User can roll back to version 9.7.2 to have the Foxit PDF printer module.

Comment

I am a long time Foxit PDF reader user and have converted companies I work at to use Foxit Reader, even some to buy Foxit Phantom. Many of my users need the ability to print to PDF and I have a hard time dragging them off Adobe and onto Foxit, but the nice Foxit PDF printer was a big selling point for me to get them to move. This move has made me reconsider my continued patronage of Foxit. It was completely unnecessary to do this, and the silent way this was done was infuriating. I guarantee I will not be allowing any of my users to upgrade Foxit Reader if the printer is not put back into the Reader. I will also start looking for a replacement and will no longer recommend my companies replace Adobe Acrobat with Foxit Phantom. You took a huge selling point that helped people start using your software and tossed it out the door. Not wise.

Comment

Working...
                                X