Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is C:\ProgramData\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\FoxitData.txt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is C:\ProgramData\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\FoxitData.txt?

I was running Microsoft's Process Monitor today to discover what app was hogging my CPU and high disk access and although FOXIT Reader was NOT the app causing the problem I noted that Reader periodically tries to perform an operations called CreateFile and the result always comes back as NAME NOT FOUND. Is this normal behavior or a problem? Can anyone explain what it's trying to do very frequently on my PC?

Moondoggy
    Regarding the situation you encountered, would you mind provide me screenshots of Task Manager to show me that process?

Comment

Roy,
      Here's a snapshot taken a bit ago of the Foxit processes that were running on my PC. As you can see from the detail the process repeatedly attempts to exercise a CreateFile process and the result is that the file is never found. This seems to be a recurring process and the file never seems to be present. Note that the snapshot was taken from the results of a more in depth examination of processes going behind the scenes using Microsoft's Process Monitoring Utility called ProcMon64 which logs each process that takes place sequentially if you're not familiar with this tool available for free from Microsoft.com. Using ProcMon64 you get a more detailed look at what's going on. Perhaps this is a normal function of the updater service and could be controlled by turning off the update service and only performing a manual check for an update on a periodic basis. Thoughts?

Comment

Moondoggy
        Let me discuss this with our engineer team and back to you soon.

Comment

Roy,

It's been over w week now since your last post to this thread. I was wondering what you had found out from the engineering team in regard to the repeated attemeps to access FoxitData.txt?

Thanks,.

Comment

Moondoggy
            Here is the resource from our engineering team:
            The process UpdateService.exe is always want to read the content of Foxitdata.txt and try to execute the update program, but there is nothing in the Foxitdata.txt because you are supported to be in the internal environment so Foxitdata.txt received nothing from your internal server, then got Name No Found back.

Comment

Thanks Roy, I can see where the update service would attempt to look at a file to see if an update was prinding but it seems to me that there should be some poling frequency that could be under user control of the user in settings. To me repeatedly querying a file that doesn't exist is a waste of resources. Is there a way that allowing user control of the frequency could be submitted as an improvement suggestion?

Comment

Moondoggy
                Did you turn off the Automatically Update to see if this process still came out?

Comment

Working...
                X