Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Windows cannot find..." error message when I start Foxit PDF Reader (v11.0.0.49893)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Windows cannot find..." error message when I start Foxit PDF Reader (v11.0.0.49893)

This morning I was nagged by Foxit PDF Reader to update my software to a more recent version. This I did. I'm not sure exactly which version I was using before but it was installed only a week or so ago. The new version is 11.0.0.49893.

Now, whenever I run Foxit PDF Reader I get an error message "Windows cannot find..." and it reports a file missing in subfolders beneath my AppData\Roaming folder, namely Foxit Software\Foxit PDF Reader\FoxitPDFReaderUpdater.exe. There is a file with that name in the folder tree, but it's in Foxit Software\Addon\Foxit PDF Reader\FoxitPDFReaderUpdater.exe.

I don't know whether that file is the thing it's looking for, or whether that's an older version which the update was supposed to replace, so I'm loath to just move it.

Any suggestions?

Simon C Sorry for the inconvenience. The issue was reported to our team for checking by ID#QCPHANTOM-27607, any update will inform you. thanks.

Comment

Simon C Can you please go to HELP menu, select "About Foxit PDF Reader" and click "Check for updates" to see result? then the message should be gone.

Comment

I am seeing this issue as well. When following your suggestion Amanda, I do not see the "Check for updates" link or button.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          I am seeing this issue as well. When following your suggestion Amanda, I do not see the "Check for updates" link or button.
          +1 Same
          Last edited by CraigS26; 05-28-2021, 02:43 PM.

Comment

I'm seeing this too. I think some path setting is wrong. When I manually updated the software I also got "Can't find plugins ...". And when I go to the About to click on "Update" the button is grayed out. If I go to register the registration button is grayed out. And what started this whole thing, when I select a object to view from the document list Foxit locks up.

I think all of these are related. It's not able to find certain files it needs. The update program (FoxitPDFReaderUpdateService) is present in the Foxit directory, but for some reason it's not finding it.

I've checked out the environment paths and there are no environment variables that point to the foxit directory. Foxit is also not in the path, and that may be the issue. I'll try adding it now and see if that fixes the problem.

Comment

Adding "C:\Program Files (x86)\Foxit Software\Foxit PDF Reader" to the path did not help.

But I also noticed something else, the actual error message references a directory:

Click image for larger version

Name:	foxit.png
Views:	1305
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	182940

That directory is empty. I've tried copying the files from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Foxit Software\Foxit PDF Reader"
              to that directory, no good. The actual file name is different.

In the 'Program Files' directory the file is 'FoxitPDFReaderUpdateService.exe' not FoxitPDFReaderUpdater.exe.

Guess I'll just have to use some other PDF reader for now.

Comment

Yeah, same problem. Update button is grayed out. Somebody borked the new version. Probably a typo as last post thought.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Foxit errors.png Views:	0 Size:	116.9 KB ID:	182943

BTW, links for license agreement and privacy policy are greyed out and nonfunctional as well.
                Last edited by KSP; 05-27-2021, 09:53 PM.

Comment

the only way I have found to fix this is to take a copy of the updater executable from the program files folder, rename it to foxitpdfreaderupdater.exe and put it in the path that the error complains about. I think some of this has to do with how in the new version they have renamed alot of paths and directories to "Foxit PDF Reader" where they used to be "Foxit Reader", so if you are upgrading from an older version there's old folders and files everywhere.

Comment

Hello All,we have released newer packages of Foxit Reader V11 and Foxit PhantomPDF v11 with hotfix included for fixing the issue you mentioned in this thread. For Foxit Reader users,please install the new package by downloading it from the link below:
                    http://cdn01.foxitsoftware.com/produ...L10N_Setup.exe

If there is any problem by using the new package,please let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa_lee View Post
                      Hello All,we have released newer packages of Foxit Reader V11 and Foxit PhantomPDF v11 with hotfix included for fixing the issue you mentioned in this thread. For Foxit Reader users,please install the new package by downloading it from the link below:
                      http://cdn01.foxitsoftware.com/produ...L10N_Setup.exe

If there is any problem by using the new package,please let us know.

Thanks Lisa, Is there an updated enterprise MSI installer as well? many thanks.

Comment

xander942 For MSI installer of Foxit PDF Reader, please click below link to download: http://cdn01.foxitsoftware.com/produ..._enu_Setup.msi
                        thanks.

Comment

I downloaded the file but Windows Defender is blocking it. Is there any security issues with this files?

Comment

Alberto A. Sorry for that. Can you please submit a ticket to us? then the Security Team will handle it. thanks.
                            https://www.foxit.com/support/ticket.html

Comment

I have tried installing the new MSI linked above on our terminal server, and can see the FoxitPDFReaderUpdater.exe is in appdata for the admin user that installed the software but non-admin users are still getting the error and the .exe is not present in their appdata.

Comment

Working...
                              X