Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Foxit Reader free 6.1.4.0217 have malware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am currently the administrator for over 200 computers and had to remove massive amounts of malware from a trusted source (foxit software). I am now uninstalling foxit from all our machines. You won't be seeing any more licenses purchased from us.

Comment

I have Vipre AV/Malware and firewall installed. It blocked OCSetupHlp.dll (OpenCandy) from installing. I had not even gotten to the dialog asking me if I wish to not install crapware. Foxit this is appalling. A company I trusted more than Adobe and pushed my corporation to. Worked with the custom API to integrate into our custom applications. And of all crapware to partner with OPEN CANDY??!!

We were close to upgrading our entire company of over 800 users. Not going to happen now. I work for Tai Ping Carpets in case you want to look me up and give me a call about this.

At least I don't get the crapware installed because Vipre blocked it.

Man up and do things right Foxit. What is the name of that company that lost its SSL key and did not tell anyone they were compromised a couple of years back? Oh yes that's right, they are no longer in business.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I've forwarded your comments to Reader PM team for processing. Feedback ID#: PMWQ-668. Thank you.

BTW, If you are with an enterprise and need a version to distribute at your organization, please fill out the form at the link below and we will get in contact with you soon with .msi Enterprise Reader download.
        http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rea...rprise_reg.php

Comment

I just installed Foxit's latest update on my PC and I immediately noticed the both IE and Chrome had their homepage changed. I could not believed a legit Foxit update would do that but I quick Google search turned out this thread. I am in total disbelief and shocked that a reputable software company would KNOWINGLY hide malware into what looks like a legitimate software update at no point in the installation process this was clearly mentioned. GOOD job on hiding malware in your software Foxit.

Sherry : This is not "harmless". Even after un-installing it, my homepage is still messed up. I'm going to spend most of the rest of the day restoring my settings and scanning my computer for whatever crap this malware installed silently. When I click on "install" I give my trust to the software publisher. I used to be an advocate of Foxit. Not only lost me but I am going to make sure nobody I know uses your software. Shame on you. I hope you loose all your users and never get a chance to pull another stunt like this.

Comment

I just installed Foxit's latest update on my PC and I immediately noticed the both IE and Chrome had their homepage changed. I could not believed a legit Foxit update would do that but I quick Google search turned out this thread. I am in total disbelief and shocked that a reputable software company would KNOWINGLY hide malware into what looks like a legitimate software update at no point in the installation process this was clearly mentioned. GOOD job on hiding malware in your software Foxit.

Sherry : This is not "harmless". Even after un-installing it, my homepage is still messed up. I'm going to spend most of the rest of the day restoring my settings and scanning my computer for whatever crap this malware installed silently. When I click on "install" I give my trust to the software publisher. I used to be an advocate of Foxit. Not only lost me but I am going to make sure nobody I know uses your software. Shame on you. I hope you loose all your users and never get a chance to pull another stunt like this.

Comment

Comment

I just installed Foxit's latest update on my PC and I immediately noticed that both IE and Chrome had their homepage changed. I could not believed a legit Foxit update would do that but I quick Google search turned out this thread. I am in total disbelief and shocked that a reputable software company would KNOWINGLY hide malware into what looks like a legitimate software update at no point in the installation process this was clearly mentioned. GOOD job on hiding malware in your software Foxit.

Sherry : This is not "harmless". Even after un-installing it, my homepage is still messed up. I'm going to spend most of the rest of the day restoring my settings and scanning my computer for whatever crap this malware installed silently. When I click on "install" I give my trust to the software publisher. I used to be an advocate of Foxit. Not only you lost me but I am going to make sure nobody I know uses your software. Shame on you. I hope you loose all your users and never get a chance to pull another stunt like this.
                Last edited by EricSF; 03-23-2014, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Just registered to add my comments... I recently found out conduit now comes with Foxit reader. I've uninstalled Foxit from all of my computers. As I'm the go-to guy for most of my friends about computers, I'm advising them all to go back to Adobe's own application. For my purposes I find Foxit functionally better than Adobe, but a company that bundles malware in their software is criminal and I will NEVER do business with them again. When this company dies, I will happily dance on its grave.

Comment

Hi EricSF and dangerdad,

Sorry for any hassle or inconvenience the bundling of third party product has caused for you. I've forwarded your comments as feedback to Reader PM team as well for processing. Feedback ID#: PMWQ-668.

Comment

I just cleaned a machine of the "third party product" installed by Foxit. We have multiple users of the paid PDF phantom along with numerous users using the Foxit Reader. "Third party product" is a deal breaker. Is this the future of Foxit? Reply promptly so we can decide our next course of action.

Comment

@EITcrogers,

Foxit PhantomPDF doesn't include the third party product. And for Enterprise deployment, I would encourage you to sign up for the download of Foxit Enterprise Reder .msi setup file: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rea...rprise_reg.php

Comment

Foxit *almost* got me with that last update when it tried to slip in some OpenCandy/PureLeads bits. I'm afraid that installer crossed the line from "annoying, but understandable for a free product" to "sleezy." I've been a Foxit user and advocate for years, but am uninstalling it today. FYI, I'd pay a few bucks in an app store for a clean and solid PDF reader.

Comment

I am a former user that came back to Foxit, but not expecting to find crapware! I did a restart after instillation (old habit after new installs/uninstall) and was locked out of my primary user account. Win 7 & 8 can have this problem when too many demands are made on the system at startup. Using my administrative account (which was functional) I deleted Foxit via control panel and removed reg traces and problem solved. The crapware apparently triggered the problem.

Foxit, please reconsider your decision!

Comment

@cherry Sorry, in my rage I didn't communicate clearly. I was referring to Foxit Reader including the "third party product" and that we currently are a Foxit PhantomPDF customer. Does the Foxit Enterprise Reader contain any Third Part Product or attempt to install anything else besides Foxit Enterprise Reader?

Comment

I have ditched Foxit PDF reader off my machines and will be removing it and the crapware the update has installed on all my client's computers. Thanks a lot FoxIt!

Comment

Working...
                                X