Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Foxit Reader free 6.1.4.0217 have malware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• richell_huang
    replied
    Originally posted by stochos View Post

You don't bundle spyware but now insist on FoxitReader 9 connecting to your servers despite opting out of updates and connectedPDF.?
    Your product was excellent but without the trust of users; how will it progress?
    ConnectPDF is the add-on bundled in PhantomPDF. With ConnectedPDF technology in PhantomPDF, you can:
    • Prevent prying eyes. Sent something to the wrong person? Don’t worry. ConnectedPDF lets you control who can do what with your documents, even after you’ve emailed them.
    • Keep everyone on the same page. Tired of emailing updated versions of documents? ConnectedPDF automatically alerts your team that a new version is available.
    • Coordinate your comments. Struggling to keep up-to-date with reviewer edits? ConnectedPDF lets you see reviewers insert comments or make changes instantly, and reply just as quickly.
    • Track and find versions. Need an earlier version of a document? ConnectedPDF makes it easy to locate and revert back to an earlier version, without wasting time searching.
    If you don't want to use it, you can not choose to install the add-on, or disable it by following the instructions described in below article:
    https://help.foxitsoftware.com/kb/ho...pdf--cpdf-.php

Leave a comment:

• james_ross
    replied
    Foxit Reader only have malware if you don't opt-out of the third-party software option during the installation. Yes, it is bad that Foxit Reader is endorsing this practice, but it's not precisely fair to say that Foxit has malware, only that Foxit's installer will install malware by default, unless you opt out. I have my old standalone stored on 2 different hard drives, as well as my installer and key.
    Last edited by james_ross; 07-22-2018, 01:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stochos
    replied
    Originally posted by Lisa_lee View Post
    Dear rightjobspk11,

This is a very old thread. As Cherry has mentioned before,we don't bundle any third party software in our Foxit Reader anymore since V6.2.1 of Foxit Reader.
    So there is no such problem in our latest version of Foxit Reader 8.0.
    You don't bundle spyware but now insist on FoxitReader 9 connecting to your servers despite opting out of updates and connectedPDF.?
    Your product was excellent but without the trust of users; how will it progress?

Leave a comment:

• Lisa_lee
    replied
    Dear rightjobspk11,

This is a very old thread. As Cherry has mentioned before,we don't bundle any third party software in our Foxit Reader anymore since V6.2.1 of Foxit Reader.
    So there is no such problem in our latest version of Foxit Reader 8.0.

Leave a comment:

• rightjobspk11
    replied
    I hope others will show their concern before this becomes an irreversible part of Foxit marketing approach.

Leave a comment:

• MalwareHater
    replied
    I apologize if this is the wrong forum and too old of a thread for my question, but since I experienced exactly the kinds of problems the posts in this thread describe, and could not find/search-up a more appropriate forum location, here goes:
    I had previously installed a version of FoxitReader as an add-on or extension to either Chrome or Firefox. It took me about 3 full days to fully clean the machine after the various malwares were detected and wreaked havoc with my system. This was really, really not appreciated since I was just coming out from under a complete OS HD failure, reinstall horrors, etc. IIRC I had both a free version of stand-alone FoxitReader, as well as had added it to one or more browsers (Chrome/FF; do not use IE) as 'extensions' or 'add-ons.

I really need to know whether ANY Foxit products are safe for installation and use relative to malware, adware, crapware, etc., such as is described in the preceding four pages of posts - I won't go into prolonged detail about the garbage I had to clean out as a result of adding FoxitReader installs to my machine as most have already been covered.

WHAT, if any, versions of which Foxit Products, including browser extensions, add-ons, etc., are currently FREE AND CLEAR OF MALWARE and DO NOT ADD IN MALWARE VIA UPDATES? I had found the product to be very helpful - until the malware/adware/shitware ran rampant through my machine - and I am still stomping the occasional bug as a result of unsuccessful uninstalls, etc.

IS FOXIT SAFE TO USE NOW? ARE THE UPDATES SAFE? WHICH PRODUCTS AND WHICH VERSION OF THOSE PRODUCTS ARE SAFE?
    Thank you for your response.

Leave a comment:

• DavidIB
    replied
    Thnaks for sorting this problem. I'll now start recommending Foxit again.

Leave a comment:

• cherry
    replied
    Hi William,

The mentioned third party software (E.g. Ask, Conduit, OpenCandy) is no longer bundled to Foxit Reader since version Foxit Reader 6.2.1.

Leave a comment:

• William Pitt
    replied
    I have been "cleaning" computers for family and friends for years. I have noticed a big increase in adware and malware, such as the many toolbars that take over your browsing choices with Ask, Conduit, OpenCandy, Bing, and McCafe, just to name a few. Any software that comes bundled with a secondary installer, that has to be un-ticked, is adware. I have cancelled ALL auto-updates. It was Foxit that got my attention. I did not expect this crap from Foxit, I checked everywhere. and finally found the problem in the Foxit update. Very disappointed with what I thought was an excellent product.

I will continue to use Foxit, but the trust in auto-updating is gone.

Leave a comment:

• RobIII
    replied
    Originally posted by cherry View Post
    @trainwreck,
    I've forwarded your comments to Reader PM team for processing. Feedback ID#: PMWQ-668. Thank you.
    So it's been a month now. Not that I really care (since I've switched to another product) but I am somehow interested if all this "forwarding to the Reader PM team" has actually yielded results. If not for me than for others concerned, it would be in your best interest to answer the following questions and be upfront and open about this:
    1. Has the "Reader PM team" responded to "PMWQ-668" and, if so, what was the response?
    2. How come I / we have to ask instead of you / Foxit / the "Reader PM team" responding here on own initiative?
    3. How come there are no public apologies made or, if you / Foxit / the "Reader PM team" isn't willing to apologize for this "inconvenience" *cough*, why hasn't any statement been made on this issue? Be it "we're continuing to infect our customers" or "we're looking into better options" or "we were surprised by the reactions; we've stopped doing this immediately until we have a better option / partner"...
    I have numbered the questions for easy replying to each of them so one-or-the-other won't be 'accidentally' left out / glanced over / missed

I hope confronting you / Foxit / the "Reader PM team" instead of "sitting / waiting it out" helps. Again, if not for me then for the rest of your userbase.

Leave a comment:

• cherry
    replied
    @trainwreck,

Sorry for the inconvenience. You may go to "Control Panel"->"Add/Remove Programs" to uninstall the 3rd party plugin you've installed for now. I've forwarded your comments to Reader PM team for processing. Feedback ID#: PMWQ-668. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• trainwreck
    replied
    I have used and appreciated Foxit products for years. Recommended Foxit Reader to everyone in my office. Now, like others before me, I updated my Foxit Reader this week and found that it was bundled with malware. Installed Pureleads. I never approved this third party software.

Now I have to help all these people in my office to get rid of this annoyance. Like a virus. I will NEVER RECOMMEND FOXIT AGAIN, I will uninstall it and find something else.

I work so hard to have a good, clean computer with productive software. My computer will no longer included Foxit products. You ruined it!!!

Leave a comment:

• cherry
    replied
    @tpaStarz,

Thanks for your post. I'll forward your comments to Reader PM team for their references. Thank you again.

Leave a comment:

• tpaStarz
    replied
    @cherry - just FYI, the 3rd party software was not optional via update. If FR was already installed and then you got alerted to update - no option about 3rd party software, it just installed. And if my AV had not caught that, I would have never seen it. And I would not have known what to uninstall, because I would not have known what was installed. Thank you for passing this thread up the chain...

Leave a comment:

• cherry
    replied
    @EITcrogers,
    Foxit Enterprise Reade doesn't include the third-party product.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X