Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foxit reader not showing correct font (but only in my pc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cherry
    replied
    conte.carli

Is it possible to provide us the ALIEN5.TTF and corresponding font file and the PDF document you could reproduce the issue with so we could further investigate? Our engineer downloaded the alienleague.TTF and tested on our side and cannot reproduce the issue. Thank you again.

Leave a comment:

• cherry
    replied
    sippin conte.carli

Thanks for your update. I've updated your feedback to Foxit internal bug tracking system with a new Report ID#QCPHANTOM-30510 for the engineer's further investigation. We'll update here when there's further update from the QA and Dev side. Thank you.
    conte.carli Is it possible to share us with the file you could reproduce the issue in version 12.0? Thank you again.

Leave a comment:

• conte.carli
    replied
    I've performed the clean install of version 12 (12.0.0.12394) and the problem still exists. Nothing has changed.

After reading the article posted by sippin, I checked the registry, but the fonts are correctly installed. ALIEN5.TTF only exists with the correct name and Arial is also mapped correctly:
    Code:
    "Arial (TrueType)"="arial.ttf"
    "Alien League (TrueType)"="ALIEN5.TTF"
    I continued testing. Here are the fonts in Adobe Acrobat (independent of the fonts installed):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	adobe_fonts.png
Views:	40
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	189651

In Foxit with Alien League in C:\Windows\Fonts the font is used instead of the correct one:

Name:	foxit_fonts_alien.png
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	189650

As soon as I move ALIEN5.TTF from C:\Windows\Fonts and restart Foxit the fonts are displayed as follows (still wrong using Arial Bold instead of Arial):

Name:	foxit_fonts_arialbold.png
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	189649
    Attached Files
    Last edited by conte.carli; 07-16-2022, 09:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sippin
    replied
    Made an account to try and help out with this issue. Someone mentioned before the "Alien League" or "alien5.ttf" font being the issue which I believe to be the case here as well. The problem I found was when I went into the font folder at "C:\windows\fonts" Windows seems to open it's font viewer (In Windows 10 at least), which didn't really show the all the files in that folder. In my case I could not see any Alien League font or alien5.ttf in the font folder with Windows Explorer.

However, if you use a different file-browser you can see all of the files in that folder. For this I used "7-Zip File Manager", navigated to "c:\windows\fonts" and deleted alien5.ttf.
    You can also check to see if that file is in your fonts folder by entering "c:\windows\fonts" (without quotations) into the address bar of your web browser, however you cannot delete it from the web browser, for that you will need a filebrowser like 7-Zip or TotalCommander.

Also, this isn't just a Foxit issue but something that can affect Windows in general, going off of this Microsoft Answers page

Hope this helps
    Last edited by sippin; 07-16-2022, 03:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lisa_lee
    replied
    wind_wu, Thanks for your conjecture and give us your idea. Let us just wait for further confirmation from conte.carli who has encountered the issue mentioned in this thread in V11 before. If the issue still will happen in V12 on his side,I will forward your conjecture to our Dev team for their investigation.

Leave a comment:

• wind_wu
    replied
    Lisa_lee I'm using Foxit PDF Reader v12.0.0 now. I don't have any Helvetica font bought, I'm only conjecturing through the FreeType project release notes... Sorry for that.

Leave a comment:

• Lisa_lee
    replied
    wind_wu conte.carli .I have double confirmed the issue you mentioned in this thread with our Dev team,they have already addressed it i our newly major upgrade version 12. Would you please help to perform a fresh installation for upgrading to the latest version 12 to see if it will really work in your real-world environment? Please do the following (taking Foxit PDF Reader as an example):
    1) Please make sure you've closed all Foxit PDF Reader related programs (IE, Firefox...) then go to "Control Panel"->"Add/Remove Programs" to uninstall Foxit PDF Reader;
    2)Go to "Start"->"Run"-> input regedit -> find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Foxit Software\Foxit PDF Reader 11.0" and "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Foxit Software\Foxit PDF Reader 11.0" to delete the whole folder of Foxit PDF Reader 11.0;
    3)Install the latest version of Foxit PDF Reader from our official down center.

If the issue still persists in the latest version, please let us know and I will contact with our Dev team to further work on this issue and will also forward the possible causes of the problem provided by wind_wu to our Dev team as well for their reference.

Look forward to your reply.

Leave a comment:

• Lisa_lee
    replied
    wind_wu,The issue you mentioned this this thread should has already been addressed in our newly major upgrade version 12. Would you please help to upgrade your software to latest version 12 which could be downloaded from our Foxit download center and give the latest version a try to see if it will work in your real-world environment? Look forward to your reply.

Leave a comment:

• wind_wu
    replied
    Originally posted by conte.carli View Post
    I've just received version 12 as an update and the problem is still not fixed. What happened?
    I suppose the issue is something to do with the open-source project FreeType font engine that Foxit Reader replys upon . I don't know if the developers keep an active follow-up of the latest FreeType update.

There's the FreeType 2.12.1 maintenance release on May 1st, with an important bugfix:

CHANGES BETWEEN 2.12.0 and 2.12.1

I. IMPORTANT BUG FIXES

- Loading a fully hinted TrueType glyph a second time (without
    caching) sometimes yielded different rendering results if TrueType
    hinting was active (bug introduced in version 2.12.0).
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/fre...etype2/2.12.1/

Lisa_lee cherry Roy_Chen Please consider forwarding the FreeType font engine v2.12.1 update information & news to your development department.
    Last edited by wind_wu; 06-28-2022, 11:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• conte.carli
    replied
    I've just received version 12 as an update and the problem is still not fixed. What happened?

Leave a comment:

• Lisa_lee
    replied
    conte.carli ,We do apologize for the trouble that our program has caused you. After our QA and Dev team have received the issue that you posted on this forum, they took this issue seriously and worked hard to find out the cause of the issue, so the cause of the problem was quickly located in mid-December last year. However, compiling a stable version to fix this problem requires complex code modification and testing procedures, the whole process needs to cost some time and they also need to develop new features for version 12 in parallel. Finally, the stable internal version got compiled around February 2022.
    Therefore, it is too late to apply the fix into version 11.2.1 which was officially released at the end of January 2022. So the fix is eventually be postponed to be applied in the next major release version which is version 12.
    Anyway,I will forward your feedback to our product marketing to let them hear customers' feelings and advise them to arrange more human resources in our Dev team to fix some critical issues more timely in the future.
    I have also already sent you an internal version that has fixed this problem. Would you please help to check your inbox to download and install the internal version at your convenience and let us know if the issue will really not arise again in the internal version on your side?

Last edited by Lisa_lee; 03-12-2022, 12:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• conte.carli
    replied
    In May?! Why is such a serious bug, which makes your software totally unusable, not fixed immediately. This thread was started in November. You expect people to wait over half a year for a fix of a crippling bug? I thought this was a professional software and a true alternative to Adobe. Everybody complains about the constant updates Adobe delivers, but at least things get fixed. I wish I had never changed from Adobe.

Leave a comment:

• cherry
    replied
    conte.carli I understand that how this issue would impact on your side and I can totally understand your frustration here. The fix of this bug is planned to be included in version 12.0, 12.0 is a major version which our Developers and Product engineers are still working on. We can't promise you accurate time when it would be available but we could give your estimated time. This new release should be available in May if everything goes well.
    The internal Sprint version has already fixed this issue, if you'd like, we could provide you an internal version as workaround for you before the new version been released. If you're interested, you may submit a ticket here: https://www.foxit.com/support/ticket.html?isReturn=1 to get the download link of internal version and give it a try.

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• conte.carli
    replied
    I still haven't received an update for Foxit PDF Editor. It was promised by end of February. Why is this not getting fixed? I have more and more PDFs that are unreadable.

Leave a comment:

• Cyrix386
    replied
    Originally posted by Roy_Chen View Post
    Cyrix386 conte.carli ekael
    The issue had been fixed on an some of the users who experienced the same bug had confirmed it already, please try to download and install a beta version to see if it works:
    https://sync-us.foxitsoftware.com/qa...2.02.57096.exe
    Hi Roy_Chen

I've installed your attached file and it seems to fix the problem, now I see the correct fonts at my documents. However in browsers I still see the f****d Alienleague font. But I think that the foxit plugin is not working within browsers, as I read this at your webpage:
    https://kb.foxitsoftware.com/hc/en-u...a-Web-Browser-
    "Note:Firefox,Google Chrome and Opera these browsers all no longer support the NPAPI style plugins,so Foxit PDF plug-in can not work in Firefox(version 52 and above),Google Chrome(version 45 and above) and Opera(version 12.17 and above) anymore."

I have browsed in Chrome web store and downloaded this html5 plugin to load pdf files in browser, and with this plugin the Alienleague font is gone (but if I disable the plugin, the font returns).

Anyway I can say that the issue is fixed, as I can use again Foxit as my default pdf viewer. Thank you for your work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X