Recurring PDF Preview Handler error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug Recurring PDF Preview Handler error

Directly after the installation of Foxit PDF Reader Ver. 12.0.0.12394 the PDF Preview Handler works well in the Windows Explorer Preview pane and in Outlook. However, after a couple of days the PDF Preview Handler does not work anymore and gives the error message "Due to an error in the PDF Preview Handler, this file cannot be previewed." (Translated from German, in English the message might be slightly different). In Outlook the Preview Handler fails too. After re-installation of Foxit, everything is fine again. Then, some days later, it again fails.
    I assume it might at least be connected to Windows Updates, that is, after Windows is updated, the Preview Handler fails. But there also might be other incidents that cause the error, I was not able yet to pinpoint that. I run Windows 10 Pro in Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044 on a HP Elitebook 830 and Foxit is my only running pdf-reader-program (apart from pdf24 which I only use for pdf page manipulations).

I appreciate every helpful comment. Thank you very much!

Xolile33

For Preview issue, please refer to related articles

https://kb.foxitsoftware.com/hc/en-u...review+handler

https://kb.foxitsoftware.com/hc/en-u...led-in-Outlook
    https://kb.foxitsoftware.com/hc/en-u...-it-in-Outlook
    https://kb.foxitsoftware.com/hc/en-u...stops-working-

please follow the steps see if works then, and send us screenshots of operations&error message if failed.Thanks.

Comment

Thank you for your instructions! I have tried the last link, topic "Why the Windows Explorer PDF preview stops working?" including re-registering FoxitPrevHndlr.dll and FoxitThumbnailHndlr_x64.dll. Unfortunately no success, (tried before and after re-booting the laptop). I checked the other links but no other topic seemed to me to cover exactly my problem. Here are my error messages:

From Windows Explorer:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	grafik.png
Views:	600
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	189958

And from Outlook 2019:

Views:	580
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	189959

Do you have any further suggestions? Thank you!

Comment

Xolile33, For this situation, please help to repair the Foxit PDF Preview handler by reinstalling Foxit PDF Reader to see if it will help. Please do the following:
        1) Please make sure you've closed all Foxit PDF Reader related programs (IE, Firefox...) then go to "Control Panel"->"Add/Remove Programs" to uninstall Foxit PDF Reader;
        Go to "Start"->"Run"-> input regedit -> find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Foxit Software\Foxit PDF Reader 12.0" and "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Foxit Software\Foxit PDF Reader 12.0" to delete the whole folder of Foxit PDF Reader 12.0;
        2) Download the newest version of Foxit PDF Reader 12.0 from this link.
        Then please restart your computer and then try to preview PDF file again. Any result,please let us know.

Comment

Lisa_lee, Thank you for your feedback! I usually do this when the PDF Preview handler fails: I re-install the Foxit PDF Reader, then the Preview works again. So have I done yesterday.

For the record: Yesterday I have done the following:
          - Uninstallation of Foxit PDF Reader via Windows 10 settings -> Apps -> Uninstall Foxit
          - Download Foxit PDF Reader from the Foxit website (FoxitPDFReader1201_L10N_Setup_Prom.exe)
          - Installation by executing *.exe
          - Update-check and installations of the offered updates
          >> Result: The PDF preview works again, in Windows explorer as well as in Outlook. However, I did NOT delete the Foxit-folder in the registry since I didn't know that it's necessary.

When I follow your link I see that it is a different version from the one I was offered (FoxitPDFReader120_enu_Setup_Clean.exe). Shall I rather uninstall my current version, use yours and then report about the result? Otherwise I stick with my version and will report when it fails again.

Comment

Xolile33

The most current version is version 12.0.1 for now. You may keep with the version 12.0.1you've installed. When the issue recurrs, you may report it to us again. Thank you.

Comment

Ok, sorry to tell, but just now I experienced the same error again - and I am not aware of any changes concerning Windows updates. Should you not have any further hints, I will within the next days uninstall Foxit 12.0.1. and install the version from Lisa_lee above. Can't do it right now. I'll keep you updated.

Comment

Xolile33,I supected that your system's default PDF preview handler has somehow been occupied by other application. Would you please go to "Start"->"Run"-> input regedit -> please find "
                HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pdf\shellex\{8895b1c6-b41f-4c1c-a562-0d564250836f}",then please take a s screenshot to show us the value for the items under the {8895b1c6-b41f-4c1c-a562-0d564250836f} for us? We will know which PDF preview plugin is currently the default on your system based on the required screenshot and then give you further advise.

Look forward to your reply.

Attached Files

Comment

Lisa_lee, Thank you for your reply! With regedit I find the following entry:

Views:	525
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	190173

I hope that helps. Am looking forward to your further advice - the problem persists; however, I did not change anything at the system since my last post.

Comment

Xolile33, Based on the registry value, we could know that Microsoft edge has set itself as your system's default PDF preview handler somehow.
                    As far as we know, windows sometimes would switch the previewer back to Edge after a Windows update,so the issue you encountered may be connected to Windows Update as well.
                    To switch back to using Foxit preview handler as default PDF previewer and also prevent MS edge from modifying the default preview settings in your system, please refer to the instructions mentioned in this article´╝Ü
                    https://kb.foxitsoftware.com/hc/en-u...ile-not-found-

Anyway ,I have also submitted the suggestion"This "Always perform a check when starting Foxit PDF Editor" check process should checks not only if it is the default PDF reader but also if it is the default PDF previewer." as a new feature request to our product management team's reference with suggestion ID#PHANTOM-16839.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	59.8 KB ID:	190197
                    Once this new suggestion is implemented ,after the default PDF preview plug-in is tampered with by other plugins for any reason,a pop-up message will be triggered when you reopen Foxit PDF Editor/Reader, in the pop-up message, you will be informed that the default PDF previewer is no longer Foxit and do you want to set Foxit back as the default. If you select Yes, you will be able to directly set Foxit back as the default PDF preview plugin.Based on the registry value, we found that Microsoft edge has occupied your system's default preview handler.

Any further questions or concerns,please contact us again at any time.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X